Discuss Fernox IC-20 Cleaner - OK on domestic CH system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iandb

We use this product at work and was wondering if I can use this at home on my CH system. If yes do I just remove some water from the small tank in the loft and add a suitable amount of the cleaner into the tank.

This stuff is 'designated' commercial and is a de-scaler and sludge mobiliser pre-treatment prior to
large scale flushing operations. It maybe that its ok to drop some into your F & E tank and then
drain off 1.5x the volume of the tank to introduce it into your heating system.

You dont say why you want to do this and maybe its just because its free (I would think like this) I is NOT an inhibitor so will need taking out quite soon after introduction.

Beware if you dont do this properly you could raelly screw up you boiler if is a newish one. I
would wait for some more advice from the collective wisdom - Croppie 'is commercial' and might know how strong this stuff is - he is back later

Centralheatking

Centralheatking; would wait for some more advice from the collective wisdom - Croppie 'is commercial' and might know how strong this stuff is - he is back later Centralheatking[/QUOTE said:
I never knew Croppie was commercial... Learn something new everyday ;p

Thanks for the reply.

Have had on going heating problems with rads in general, not getting hot and some not coming on at all.

The system has not had any thing done with it since we've been here (10 years) and no idea about before then. The system has been drained a few times to change a couple of old rads by us but we've not added any thing into the system to maintain.

Was looking at getting some one in to power flush it through and saw several threads about using various additives to clear it out instead (Cheaper DIY Option first) and as we use the IC20 here at work thought I might be able to borrow some.

Will look again and see what other products are suggested on here.

Yes pal, it's a rebadged fernox F3, safe for Ali heat exchangers too, follow instructions and add F1 when done

sounds like you really need an engineer out to look at the system? if it has mirco bore pipework it maybe a time for a part or new system. Even if you powerflushed it wont solve the problem of rad that dont work if its due corrosion.blockages.

I wouldn't chance it on ali hex's. Fernox IC20 is primarily designed for use on cast sectional boilers. As such it's pretty aggressive.

I wouldn't chance it on ali hex's. Fernox IC20 is primarily designed for use on cast sectional boilers. As such it's pretty aggressive.
Nah John safe on Ali, same as F3 it can be used as commissioning treatment too for Flux etc, treat, flush clean, add F1 or CH3 if you get that free lol

Thanks again all. We do actually use both the Fernox F1 & F3 here for our cooling systems. The IC20 was an old bottle.

Do not think we have microbore as it looks as though we have normal 15mm copper pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fernox IC-20 Cleaner - OK on domestic CH system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am starting a large victorian renovation and it will involve, (amongst everything else) installation of an entirely new heating and plumbing...
Replies
Views
Hello, I wonder how to put Fernox cleaners from normal bottle to Fernox Omega filter. I do not want to use by radiator and it does not work with...
Replies
Views
Good Afternoon all, I am hopeful someone may be able to offer some guidance on the following. In the home we have a gas boiler (serviced...
Replies
Views
Hi The onslaught of plumbing questions continues! Sorry folks... The plumber is coming on Monday and will be draining down to do the bathroom...
Replies
Views
I drained the system to replace the pump with a WIlo, and to add Fernox system cleaner. I will confess that I forgot to drain it in an organised...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock