Discuss Fernox Tf1 total filter reversed flow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, am new to this forum & hoping for assistance with new installation of Fernox TF1 Total filter.

Have a new Intergas Rapid 25 boiler installed by gas safe engineer but he's installed the filter with reversed flow.
The return pipe drops behind boiler to 500mm below boiler and the engineer has fitted it into the downward leg of the return pipe instead of the upward leg to boiler return tail. The arrow on the filter is in upward direction against the downward flow direction of the system. How significant is this for the filter/system and what's the best way to correct this for maximum filter effect please. The engineer is not liky to be available to correct his work.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I’m guessing op means water is running through the filter top to bottom. Really doesn’t make any difference there are bigger stresses on an install as TF1 can be fitted on multiple angles

Last edited:
The arrow pointing towards the boiler on the return pipework?
OK..... Return pipe runs behind boiler in downwards direction to the top of the tf1 filter port which should be the exit port of the filter, according to flow arrow on the port. Opposing the flow arrow. Return water exits bottom of filter port then turns upwards towards return tail of boiler.
This is opposite flow direction shown by the arrow.
I'll try to post a photo....

I’m guessing op means water is running through the filter top to bottom. Really doesn’t make any difference there are bigger stresses on an install as TF1 can be fitted on multiple angles

Correct, the flow is running through filter port in reverse direction to the arrow on the tf1 hub.
Rang fernox tech & they state that filter will be ineffective with this flow arrangement.
TBH, I'm super unimpressed by the fitter who has bodged several aspects of the install, including the vertical flue through pitched Roof.... No brackets, strange angle and storm collar canted on the lead slate with clearly visible opening showing. Worried about how to rectify this. He never even secured surrounding slates, they're just loosely placed.

Get gas safe involved. They won’t be concerned about the filter but the other issues are bad. The filter is very easily rectified. Isolate the filter, drain it, remove it, spin the connectors 180°, reattach, refill, bleed, Robert is your mothers brother. I still maintain that it really won’t make a vast difference. But to be fair that’s why I don’t fit TF1s I think they’re tat

Get gas safe involved. They won’t be concerned about the filter but the other issues are bad. The filter is very easily rectified. Isolate the filter, drain it, remove it, spin the connectors 180°, reattach, refill, bleed, Robert is your mothers brother. I still maintain that it really won’t make a vast difference. But to be fair that’s why I don’t fit TF1s I think they’re tat
So what do you fit? And how to get gas safe involved? Been to their website and it only offers an application form to present installation for inspection.

Give them a call, tell them you’ve been less than impressed with your installer. They will carry out a free inspection for you

I feel terrible about the prospects of getting the fitter into trouble. I'm a competent fitter and installed all the rads & pipework in copper myself with no issues as I've done many times in past (I'm electronics engineer) I decided not to risk boiler install from legal viewpoint and assumed an experienced gas safe engineer would be impeccable. Sadly not. I watched the guy work and he never cleaned or deburred any joints before soldering, never wiped excess flux, etc etc.... Pipe layout is dire. Never set burner or checked combustion and never did any commissioning checks or setup at all. Frankly, I'm shocked at his poor workmanship.....he never even filled out the benchmark form.... Took the serial number and said he'd do gas safe registration from home.

Last edited:
Well many of us do, do the gas safe registration from home as it’s usually the last job and you don’t have to be stood in the customers house to do it. The benchmark as far as I’m concerned is key. It should be completed to show the correct commissioning procedure. So he didn’t use a flue gas analyser?? Burner shouldn’t really need adjusting out of the box but should be checked. To be honest it’s not a case of getting the engineer in trouble. If he’s qualified he should know what he should be doing and not cut corners. Being gas safe is sadly no guarantee of workmanship. I always show customers pics of my installs or am happy to provide previous customers details for reference. The pipe runs could be down to a lack of communication. If you don’t specify then it is down to engineers best judgement. Show us some pics

Reply to Fernox Tf1 total filter reversed flow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock