Discuss Fernox Tf1 total filter reversed flow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Obviously we cant see everything from the photos but nothing immediately concerns me with those photos, obviously I can't see how the tiles are fixed but I can't see the gap you mention. The filter looks Ok but again I can't see which way the direction arrow is pointing, if it's pointing up then all is good. So the only concerning parts is the benchmark not filled it, the flue not been clipped and the possibility he hasn't commissioned the boiler, and the condensate looks like it might be running slighlty up hill. If you are generally concerned then you can either call gas safe or another local engineer to come and check it over.
OK, like you say, you can't see all from the photos. The arrow on the tf1 is indeed pointing upwards but the return pipe connected to the upper port is flowing downwards from a downwards return pipe from behind the boiler. The lower port bends upwards to the return tail of boiler.
The flue is way off vertical for starters, is not held to any structure in the roof by any clamp or brackets, it's only held by its own downwards weight and a loose fitting collar of the lead slate. The roof slates are layered loosely behind the upwards section of the flue.
The condensate pipework is forced behind the filter pipework. There's an adey calmag cold supply filter tightly fitted between other pipes running downwards and is dripping but no space to get wrench on it to tighten up. Out of shot are also 2 crossovers that are not freely crossing, they are forced against the pipes they're crossing over. The mains supply cable has been scarred with heat from the torch, as has a few areas of the boiler under tray.
I could go on..... Yes, I'm fussy but there are several areas that are clearly and unnecessarily bodged.
Having watched the guy work, I don't believe he has the skills or finesse to put this right to a satisfactory standard so I can't see any sense in confronting him with a view to putting it right.
I'm screwed I reckon..

Sorry I see what you mean about the filter now, so the return comes down through the filter and then back up again to the boiler, so yes that is wrong. The flue is very dangerous too. Your right not to trust the engineer to put it right, if he's capable of tidy and safe work he would have done it properly in the first place. Your only option is to get another engineer to put it right, it's going to cost you but its needs doing.

Sorry I see what you mean about the filter now, so the return comes down through the filter and then back up again to the boiler, so yes that is wrong. The flue is very dangerous too. Your right not to trust the engineer to put it right, if he's capable of tidy and safe work he would have done it properly in the first place. Your only option is to get another engineer to put it right, it's going to cost you but its needs doing.
Annoys me primarily because we didn't hammer down his price or haggle or nit pick. I supplied all pipe, fittings, filter etc and even paid him £50 ott as a Christmas tip. When he came to view the job, he didn't put ladders up properly, slipped off them, destroyed the bathroom door, scratched and part damage our new bathroom rad and twisted the pipework.... That should have been my clue..... But we were cold and desperate and our original fitter couldn't get to us as originally arranged.... Kicking myself now.... You live & learn I guess. But for the gas safe regs, I'd have done it right myself. He didn't even seem to know what the anti thermosiphon leg was for in the supply pipe.... But he did it more or less the way I specified..... And it works!!

Pfft, he didn't even know what an anti thermosiphon leg was for, what an idiot :rolleyes:
Well, he looked mystified when I mentioned it as a feature of intergas piping, instead of a check valve, I suggested a 600mm drop loop instead.

I'm gonna try see when the first engineer is available next, he was referred by family electrician that I trust.
Just wish the law wasn't such an bum and I could do it all myself like I used to.
Thanks all.

Not many RGIs would put up with working for an engineer who makes suggestions, to be honest. I do do work for an engineer and find it interesting, but we have some interesting discussions on the best way to do things that some people might find annoying.

Not necessarily your fault, but do be mindful that many in this trade are not academic but have spent a lot of time learning the trade and can feel threatened when someone who in their mind knows nothing about it challenges their knowledge.

As others have said, there is nothing obviously wrong with the work carried out, but if you call out Gas Safe, then if the work is not to standard then you know, and if it is to standard then Gas Safe will say so. I wouldn't worry about getting people into trouble as I suspect Gas Safe inspects a proportion of its installers' installations anyway, so if he's the real thing, he will get the odd check anyway.

Last edited:
I haven't read all post but from the pictures it looks like a decent enough install.
Cant the valves be isolated and the body rotated on the TF1?

Reply to Fernox Tf1 total filter reversed flow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock