Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting a toilet on tiled bathroom floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nas

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I've got to fit a toilet to a tiled floor. The Bathroom has just been fitted with ceramic floor tiles. Can anyone recomment the best drill bit to use.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
either a tile tiped bit or i just tend to use a masonary bit, make sure the drill is on drill only and not hammer if your not used to drilling into tiles then put some tape down mark holes and drill, the tape helps to stop the bit from slipping

tipped are good, and if it's porcelain it still might get through it, if not get a diamond bit for six ish of your english pounds, silicone will stik it down too (although I wouldn't do it for a customer)

If the tiles are ceramic then just drill with normal masonary bit, if they are porcelain then no chance, you will need a porcelain drill and guide.

before you put the screws in rock the pan back and forth while running a bead of silicone underneath, screw the pan down and then make good the silicone.

i bought the bathroom fitters kit from 365 drills, they been pretty good for both performance and value!

make a worm out of plumbers putty shape it in a circle around your drill site press down to seal with tile, fill with water...keeps drill bit cool and more efficient and longer lasting

KJ;)

tipped are good, and if it's porcelain it still might get through it, if not get a diamond bit for six ish of your english pounds, silicone will stik it down too (although I wouldn't do it for a customer)

why not if it works whats the problem
bob

ive had a few customers requesting silicone only - due to there old tiles or pans cracking if screws come loose

Use a decent masonry drill bit and have a cup of water to hand to cool the drill bit, ceramic tiles are easy to drill through (porcelain tiles are tuff so invest in a decent tile drill bit £15+)before screwing it right down.Don't use cordless drill you may crack the ceramic hand screw only. Then make a worm out of plumbers putty stick it around the base to level it screw it down.Then silicon around the pan job done.

For ceramics i use the Bosch multiconstructional bits. The blue ones.
I keep them just for tiles. They have a real sharp tip and are fairly cheap in screw fix. I start with a 4mm then use a 7mm bit. Even use a 10mm when needed. Saves money and are quality. I don't expect them to go through anything harder

its a paint in the backside trying to screw a pan down on a tiled floor! Yes the correct drill bit and that top tip from plumbertiler is a must

Toolstation do some varying size drills I usually get the 6mm and says it will drill through most materials including granite etc £7 if I remember

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting a toilet on tiled bathroom floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock