Discuss Flexible connectors in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave1980

Has anyone had any trouble with flexible hose connections? I have fitted some to a bathtap as the bath was tight to a wall, and after a year the hot water connector burst. I replaced this with another (longer) flexihose in case the first hose was stretched and under pressure, now 6 months later this new hose has burst (fraying the metal sheating in two places) The rating on the hoses was 65 degrees C. and the hot water is set at 57 degrees C.

Is this a known problem on flexible hoses? or are the hoses poor quality? I won't mention the make as I do not want to give the manufacturing company a bad name they may not deserve. Lets just say they are sold in B&Q so not some cheap internet buy!.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

System3 is your man for these.

IMO you should of used bent tube.

But yes. Flexi's do fail. I would look at the Hws and see if there is any potential for over temp or high pressure

Flexible connectors have a rubber washer/seal and like all rubber, it degrades over time.

Are you tightening them up too much? Should be hand tight then a 1/2 turn tweak with a spanner (imho).

Thanks for the replies, I realise that bent tube is the best but in this case it was an existing bathroom and to try and get to the bath, meant taking out a sink and plinth that had been tiled around. This is proof that the easeist way is not always the best way !!!

"dontknowitall" I don't think I over tightend it, but if I did, would that cause the flexihose to burst a couple of inches from the connection?

As I am new here, I assume System3 is another forum member. Am I correct? and how do I get intouch with him?

Yes system3 is a forum member. And he's not a great lover of flexi's

If you do have to use a flexi. Get a good quality known brand. And tbh I never tighten mine any more than 1/2 a turn over hand tight

I cannot see any reason for the failure. Do you have any photos you could upload

Doesn't look like
Corrosion?
Pressure?
Heat?
Mechanical damage?
Rats?

"dontknowitall" I don't think I over tightend it, but if I did, would that cause the flexihose to burst a couple of inches from the connection?

As I am new here, I assume System3 is another forum member. Am I correct? and how do I get intouch with him?

You're correct. Over tightening wouldn't cause it to leak at that point. (I'd assumed it was at the tap joint.)

Re System3, it's a recent "in joke" on the forum. He hates flexis with a passion (and he's not the only one.)

By the way, Welcome to the forums!!

No Pictures, sorry I have dumped the flexi pipes.

It does look like a pressure failure, and I did tighten them more than people are suggesting, so could be my fault.

Funnily enough I joked about a Rat chewing it, but it has been the same flexi burst each time, the hot supply, the cold seem fine, I suppose that then opens up the "Heat" question.

Looks like it is going to have to be out with the sink and tube the bath for safety.

Just seen "dontknow it all" reply so it is not me over tightening it then.....PHEW! bit of a relief there!!

just because you bought the flexis from b&q doesn't mean they are the best quality only higher prices imho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flexible connectors in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock