Search the forum,

Discuss flu-fumes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stelang

hi im steve ..new to this forum.. I have a living flame gas fire with artificial coal. The flu is a old fashioned chimney with no liner, my question is - can the fumes that get blown own the chimney be harm full - bearing in mind ive not had the fire on now for a few days... I am getting symptoms ie.. funny sensation to lips - loss of taste - headache - smarting eyes ...... thanks

If you're worried about it stop using it and get a Gas Safe Registered engineer to come out and check it.

Do you have any other gas appliances in the property?

Last edited:
I am worried thats why ive not been useing it.. Will the gas man have a meter to check for fumes are will he just clean ond test the gas presure like in the past...Its gas central hated and i have a gas cooker

Last edited by a moderator:
Its gas central hated and i have a gas cooker
With the limited information you've given it might be a good idea to immediately stop using all your gas appliances until a GSR has checked things over. Also, if you're feeling ill and suspect you could be suffering from the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning go and see a doctor right away.

ok ... but can the fumes that blown back down the flu - with out the fire on - make you ill ?

No without the appliance on no fumes will be produced. When was it last serviced? Have you got a carbon monoxide detector if you are that worried? Don't use it until it is tested.

Tell us what you actually want to know and why, you have been told to turn off the gas and phone and get everything checked and to go to a doctor and you are still asking about fumes from a fire that isn't even on, do you think ere is fumes in the flue when the fire is off

ok ... but can the fumes that blown back down the flu - with out the fire on - make you ill ?
As already answered by APPlumbing above above, no, that's why I asked if you had other gas appliances.

if its joined to another chimney could be another appliance fumes coming down chimney !! call National grid 0800 111 999 now please :)

it could be next doors fire if they have one if the chimney is in poor condition. get it checked asap as above have advised. I would advise also investing in a carbon monoxide alarm

Only problem with calling National Grid is that they will cut off the gas supply at the meter and leave.
I dealt with a similar situation the other week.
You need a GSR with knowledge of testing CO levels in rooms to check this out.

In the meantime while you're dawdling about whether or not to follow the advice you've been given so far, open a few windows.

hi im steve ..new to this forum.. I have a living flame gas fire with artificial coal. The flu is a old fashioned chimney with no liner, my question is - can the fumes that get blown own the chimney be harm full - bearing in mind ive not had the fire on now for a few days... I am getting symptoms ie.. funny sensation to lips - loss of taste - headache - smarting eyes ...... thanks

Stop using it Straight away Call

Call 0800 111 999 for ~Emergency it's a free service they will make it safe if it is spilling Carbon Monoxide.

Then Get a Gas Safe Engineer Out to check it, they will do tests on the chimney and may recommend you get it swept or repairs done. Please please do not use.

all the advice is greatly appreciated and will do all thats been adviced to me.... but dont like goin doc`s...... I did think it was the fumes that was in the sooty chimney! I even sealed the flu up... I used to have a monoxide alarm but it never went off, thats why ive been asking about the the flu...ps i would not be asking for advice if i wanted to die and i thought all sites were open to all , to read are to comment...[ is that not the case ] If not im sorry and thanks again...

Last edited by a moderator:
And just in case you aren't sure how serious this is, or you are missing the point, it isn't just about your appliances, there is a chance that there could be fumes from somewhere else so it isn't just about keeping your appliance off to be safe

GET IT CHECKED OUT NOW

I think you're having a laugh and wasting everyone's time to be honest.

And just in case you aren't sure how serious this is, or you are missing the point, it isn't just about your appliances, there is a chance that there could be fumes from somewhere else so it isn't just about keeping your appliance off to be safe

GET IT CHECKED OUT NOW

AS said but can't be repeated too often
There are lots of cases where alarmingly high carbon monoxide levels come from a neighbouring house.
It could be your neighbours gas appliances making you sick - and they could even be dead in their home already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to flu-fumes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock