Search the forum,

Discuss Flue termination over next doors drive in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

shyguy2005

Gas Engineer
Went to quote new combi for a combi and currently the flue terminates straight out horizontally over next doors drive. Is this allowed as long as neighbours don't find it a nuisance ??

Customer says neighbours are really nice and won't mind but just want to double check if it's allowed in the first place.

as long as it meets gas safe/mi's regs

I dont think you can, as an existing its ok , but a new one no, this falls under building regs, they may be good neighbours now but when they get sick of the plume !!! Well .
Somebody will confirm

When I first spotted it I thought hang on....

Relocation required then!

I dont think you can, as an existing its ok , but a new one no, this falls under building regs, they may be good neighbours now but when they get sick of the plume !!! Well .
Somebody will confirm

What happens if the neighbour decides to build a 2 story extension? This could put your customers in a potential dangerous situation. The regs are there for a reason.

What happens if the neighbour decides to build a 2 story extension? This could put your customers in a potential dangerous situation. The regs are there for a reason.

or they decide to sell up to a right grumpy git, then he calls building control on you for fitting a flue against regs?

No, it's not allowed, next door neighbour cannot allow you to break the building regs,

neighbours will probably not be so nice when the condense drips on the cars paintwork.

If the flue is already there, the neighbour can't build within 600mm of it.

Flues shouldnt terminate over or onto somebody elses property.

Snowhead are you saying if my next door neighbour has his boiler flue on my land I cannot build my extension? I cannot see that happening

A lot of folks need to go and revise their building regs about flue termination!

Snowhead are you saying if my next door neighbour has his boiler flue on my land I cannot build my extension? I cannot see that happening

It's no different to capping a chimney with a working fire below it, you wouldn't and couldn't do it.

Building control wouldn't let you build up against the flue.

The flue would be existing, it should never have been there but as a neighbour how are you going to get around it without negotiating to have it moved.

I've seen flues on end terraces discharging over public foot paths at high level.

Last edited:
It's no different to capping a chimney with a working fire below it, you wouldn't and couldn't do it.

The flue would be existing, it should never have been there but as a neighbour how are you going to get around it without negotiating to have it moved.

I've seen flues on end terraces discharging over public foot paths at high level.

building control wouldnt care as planning would have been passed and the new build would go in and the flue owner would have to sort themselves out as they are in the wrong and its not their neighbours problem!

Do you mean it physically terminates or that the plume is likely to head in that general direction. Its 600mm but you can get deflectors for some flues that directs the plume at an angle away

If the existing flue contravenes building regs you can force them to move it. It's their problem. Which is why you should not terminate a flue over a neighbour's boundary even with their permission. If they sell up the new owner has every right to insist on it being moved.

building control wouldnt care as planning would have been passed and the new build would go in and the flue owner would have to sort themselves out as they are in the wrong and its not their neighbours problem!

Planning have no concerns over Building regs.
Building Control would spot there was going to be a conflict when the footings are inspected.

If the existing flue contravenes building regs you can force them to move it.
If they sell up the new owner has every right to insist on it being moved.

How would you "Force them"?

A private prosecution for failing to comply with Building Regs?

Has anyone on here ever moved a boiler / flue as a result of a Legal ruling obtained by a neighbour?

Last edited:
yup, they didnt need a ruling, the new neighbour was built like a proverbial shed and pointed out the fact he no longer wanted a steam plume in his back doorway :) So I installed a vert flue through the roof.

If somebody did that to me I would take my mash hammer and adjust the flue accordingly, shouldnt be done, cant be done. Simples :)

As far as my concern you are not allowed to use the old flue termination based on the new technical bulletin.

I am quite sure you will need to change the flue.

Based on my recent gas course you will need to change it

Last edited by a moderator:
How would you "Force them"?

A private prosecution for failing to comply with Building Regs?

Has anyone on here ever moved a boiler / flue as a result of a Legal ruling obtained by a neighbour?

No need for a private prosecution. The new owners went to local authority building control and lodged a complaint. The neighbours had to move the boiler in their expensive new extension. This was Redbridge council and I got the job of moving the boiler as the homeowner understandably did not want the original installer back.

What people don't seem to realise is that unlike Gas Safe rules, Building Regs are actual statutes. The full force of the law is behind them, and local authority building control can enforce them, right up to forcing people to knock down extensions, new builds etc. Fines can be in the tens of thousands and chronic failure to comply has in the past led to jail terms.

Masood,

You are right about extension etc .. I had the same case with an extension the owner build it about 4" to high ... He broke a view of the neighbours therefore he had to change the extension about4"

Im not being funny but if was mr bloggs and was doing an extension that is within permissible allowance i would call on the neighbours door and basically say 'move your boiler as a wall is going over it tomorrow'.

No need for a private prosecution. The new owners went to local authority building control and lodged a complaint. The neighbours had to move the boiler in their expensive new extension. This was Redbridge council and I got the job of moving the boiler as the homeowner understandably did not want the original installer back.

What people don't seem to realise is that unlike Gas Safe rules, Building Regs are actual statutes. The full force of the law is behind them, and local authority building control can enforce them, right up to forcing people to knock down extensions, new builds etc. Fines can be in the tens of thousands and chronic failure to comply has in the past led to jail terms.

Yep pretty much bang on , an extension is being ripped down around the corner from where we live ,build control officer came around saw it was not fully compliant and said adapt it to suit or knock it down.

Yep pretty much bang on , an extension is being ripped down around the corner from where we live ,build control officer came around saw it was not fully compliant and said adapt it to suit or knock it down.

Mate, a house round the corner from me is in the same state. Lord knows what the people were thinking but they built a loft extension, two-storey rear extension as well as converting the garage to living space and raising that to two storeys as well - all BEFORE applying for planning permission and permission for change of use from a family home to a residential home for kids with mental health problems.

Permission was refused when they did apply and now they have to knock down most of it. They've been allowed to keep the loft extension but not the rear and above the garage. Basically the council ruled that it has to be a large family home again.

They have seriously scary powers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flue termination over next doors drive in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock