Search the forum,

Discuss forum rules..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we gonna miss the Olympics...

Yes it does can you touch the gas valve if yes you need to be gas safe but then you would need to remove the case so you would need to be gas safe just incase it doesn't have a secondary door/ seal

Stop digging a hole to Australia

I'm not digging holes shaun...it was you that gave the wrong info stating you have to be GSR to remove a boiler cover which we have now established is not as black and white as you first thought/portrayed :wink_smile:

I suggest you'll find that the mods disagree with you

I'm not digging holes shaun...it was you that gave the wrong info stating you have to be GSR to remove a boiler cover which we have now established is not as black and white as you first thought/portrayed :wink_smile:

On a forum how do we know what type of case seal it is we don't and unless your qualified / know what your looking for and most boiler these days arnt secondary case seals that boiler you gave the advice on isn't

The information ShaunCorbs gave is correct. You, however, are wrong.

Want to keep digging?

giphy.gif

The information ShaunCorbs gave is correct. You, however, are wrong.

Want to keep digging?

yes that would be your opinion that Shaun is correct. Why are you asking if I want to keep digging? I'm just having a debate....which seems to be if I'm not fully in agreement with the majority then your swinging the ban hammer?

See if I can put it in terms you can understand

Legally for someone else eg paying job

Non part p / 17th ed3 person

Wants to run a new shower feed from dis board to bathroom and install new pull cord and new elec shower etc can he

No he can't as its classed as notifiable needs certification etc

Last edited:
whyre you trying to encourage Joe public to mess with gas appliances is what it boils down to. You've tried to justify this on previous threads it just doesn't wash

Last edited:
No ban hammer yet. What you need to understand is that we take a wide and sweeping view with regards the removal of boiler cases, decorative or otherwise.

If you are not gas safe you do not do it.

THOSE ARE THE RULES OF THIS FORUM.

Your opinion doesn't matter on the subject. There are far too many manufacturers and models to start saying you can remove this one, but not that one or that one.

Now, you may disagree. That's your right. But you will respect the rules and abide by them, as you agreed to when you signed up to the forum.

Otherwise I will exercise the bit that says the mods decision is final.

Capiche?

See if I can put it in terms you can understand

Legally for someone else eg paying job

Non part p / 17th ed3 person

Wants to run a new shower feed from dis board to bathroom and install new pull cord and new elec shower etc can he

No he can't as its classed as notifiable needs certification etc

No that's not correct either Shaun. As long as they are competent to do so and either have it tested an notified using a third party who is either registered with napit or stroma or contact LABC before hand a they send one of their registered contractors to carry out the necessary tests and inspection (for a fee of course) then they are well within their right to install the circuit.

No that's not correct either Shaun. As long as they are competent to do so and either have it tested an notified using a third party who is either registered with napit or stroma or contact LABC before hand a they send one of their registered contractors to carry out the necessary tests and inspection (for a fee of course) then they are well within their right to install the circuit.

Please define competent

Hi lee
Don't get yourself banned. We all know sparkys take the casing off to connect electrics. The point here is. A responsible forum, following gas safe rules cannot give out advise to the general public, that would contrivine gas safe regulations.
There had been numerous times, I have gone to a boiler where a sparky has been called to find an electrical fault and the case has been just pushed partially back on. This seal on lots of boilers forms part of the flue/ combustion chamber, so you can understand why you have to understand the process of how a gas appliance works.

No ban hammer yet. What you need to understand is that we take a wide and sweeping view with regards the removal of boiler cases, decorative or otherwise.

If you are not gas safe you do not do it.

THOSE ARE THE RULES OF THIS FORUM.

Your opinion doesn't matter on the subject. There are far too many manufacturers and models to start saying you can remove this one, but not that one or that one.

Now, you may disagree. That's your right. But you will respect the rules and abide by them, as you agreed to when you signed up to the forum.

Otherwise I will exercise the bit that says the mods decision is final.

Capiche?

haha capiche.... I'm an expert on legalese if you need help with the forum rules?

To be fair I know its a touchy subject that would ruffle a few feathers but nothing wrong with a healthy debate. Some just take it to heart more than others.:shades_smile:

The taken to heart bit was more that you're encouraging the public

part 2 definitions bs7671.

Think you need a revisit as if I remember right competent person has been replace with skilled/ qualified person

Side note good look getting a spark to sign any diyers/ not skilled work off,

Be like us signing a landlord who fitted his own boiler off

Last edited:
Think you need a revisit as if I remember right competent person has been replace with skilled/ qualified person

Side note good look getting a spark to sign any diyers/ not skilled work off,

Be like us signing a landlord who fitted his own boiler off
Yes but if you look at the
definition of competent person in part 2 it leads you to the relevant parts such as skilled, instructed and ordinary persons as defined. I would never sign off a diy'ers work in a million years but there are schemes out there such as Napit and Stroma that offer this as an add on to your registration.....I don't agree with it but it exists.

Yes but if you look at the
definition of competent person in part 2 it leads you to the relevant parts such as skilled, instructed and ordinary persons as defined. I would never sign off a diy'ers work in a million years but there are schemes out there such as Napit and Stroma that offer this as an add on to your registration.....I don't agree with it but it exists.

This is what I read/ interpreted

Definitions will be expanded and modified. For example, the definition for ‘skilled and instructed persons’ will be changed. It was also decided that the definition for a ‘competent person’ should be removed, to avoid confusion, as it was considered that some overlap existed between the definition of ‘skilled person’ and ‘competent person’.
It was proposed to modify the definition of ‘skilled person’ to align this definition with that of the IEV (International Electrotechnical Vocabulary). The Committee also proposed to modify the definition of ‘instructed person’ for the same purpose.
These changes will be reflected throughout the wiring regulations. For example, Regulation 134.1.1 has been changed from:
"Good workmanship by competent persons or persons under their supervision and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installation. Electrical equipment shall be installed in accordance with the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the equipment."
to:
"Good workmanship by skilled (electrically) or instructed (electrically) persons and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installation. The installation of electrical equipment shall take account of manufacturers’ instructions."

Direct from iet

Also just looks on napit to be deemed compant you must be part p qualified

Last edited:
This is what I read/ interpreted

Definitions will be expanded and modified. For example, the definition for ‘skilled and instructed persons’ will be changed. It was also decided that the definition for a ‘competent person’ should be removed, to avoid confusion, as it was considered that some overlap existed between the definition of ‘skilled person’ and ‘competent person’.
It was proposed to modify the definition of ‘skilled person’ to align this definition with that of the IEV (International Electrotechnical Vocabulary). The Committee also proposed to modify the definition of ‘instructed person’ for the same purpose.
These changes will be reflected throughout the wiring regulations. For example, Regulation 134.1.1 has been changed from:
"Good workmanship by competent persons or persons under their supervision and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installation. Electrical equipment shall be installed in accordance with the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the equipment."
to:
"Good workmanship by skilled (electrically) or instructed (electrically) persons and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installation. The installation of electrical equipment shall take account of manufacturers’ instructions."

Direct from iet

yes that's it.

so, to be deemed competant to remove a boiler casing, you will need to first identify if it is a positive pressure boiler.
if imediately you cant, then you are breaking the law and putting lives at risk by interfering with a gas appliance.
decorative casing is the flap covering boiler controls such as bbu fire bottom and glow worm/solo control panel.

just to wire a stat, easy innit!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to forum rules..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock