Discuss Freeze incoming main lead pipe (irregular shape) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just do it live. Speed fit pipe cutter and a lead lock with a pipe and valve on that's open and a hose on to outside. Chances are you will get wet so you might as well plan to get wet and get it over with.

going back to your first post NJD, WTF, I cant believe united utilities / water board wont sort this for you. I regularly get them to find stoptaps, change them etc etc
Perhaps the clue is, united utiities , rather than the water board, but I am guessing or perhaps this is just a sign of the 'times'

going back to your first post NJD, WTF, I cant believe united utilities / water board wont sort this for you. I regularly get them to find stoptaps, change them etc etc
Perhaps the clue is, united utiities , rather than the water board, but I am guessing or perhaps this is just a sign of the 'times'

They said they don't even put them in on new builds anymore which I find hard to believe. If they find the location tomorrow my Father in Law said he will dig it out but I'm fairly sure he isn't allowed to do this!! He said he's done it before on plenty of jobs where stoptaps have been tarmaced over. I'm also not sure how accurately they can find the stop tap, I understand tracing the line as perfectly feasible but finding the stop trap location if its buried sounds like a stretch.

:reddevil:ID Chappy hi there its only water whats the worst case flood..... keeps dust down lol brum (not the rusty old car but the rusty old geezer)

ive never had any problem freezing lead with the cans just follow the instructions there are two valves in that picture which are you tryiung to change? i assume the lower one is buggered and theyve wiped another one above

Looks to me like there is just enough copper to freeze straight after lead. But it's close to call so could be wrong.

I would never take that job in unless it was in my own house.

Have you tried the bottom stoptap?

Hi. The old lead stop tap beneath has had the handle and nearly all of the spindle cut off (presumably to fit the kitchen cupboards). I reckon they must have fitted the new wiped in stop tap then cut the handle off the old one. It's too short to even get mole grips on.

Looks to me like there is just enough copper to freeze straight after lead. But it's close to call so could be wrong.

I would never take that job in unless it was in my own house.

There is 50mm of copper between the lead pipe and the lip of the elbow fitting. If you include the elbow more like 60mm. I think this would accept an electric freeze clamp but with it being so close to both the elbow and the lead to copper wipe it puts doubt in my mind.

Loosened the gland nut tonight and sprayed liberally with wd40. Also put a heat gun on it, still no way of getting past the stuck point. The spindle moves freely within a short zone then just locks solid. I'm starting to think that perhaps the washer has split internally and is lodged against the valve casing inside stopping it rotating. If this is the case, how messy would it be to do a live swap of just the spindle and handle etc. The valve is a bs1010-2 so I presume if we buy a replacement tap, and just use the core, chances are it will be compatible. If we turn all other upstream traps etc on whilst we do it could we whip out the core of the old balls and screw in a new core without too much water loss?

Is say if your gonna do a live swap. Have a plan B or a good insurance policy :)

Is there nowhere further downstream you could freeze and relocate the stop ?

Further to that if your gonna do a live swap ensure that every tap is opened fully to relieve incoming pressure in the system

But if you do , and it will go toward the cost of repairs.......video it and stick it ln youtube and youve been framed :D

Last edited by a moderator:
If United utilities don't come out and locate the stop tap call them and tell them that you have a leak and need to shut the water off but your internal stop tap has failed. They have a duty of care to prevent wastage of water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Freeze incoming main lead pipe (irregular shape) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock