Search the forum,

Discuss fully qualified plumber in two weeks. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
you couldnt have completed the test pieces we had to do for a craft cert in 2weeks i only just finished them all in 3 years of day release and lots didnt

ok lets take a step further, why didnt you study and achieve technician Level, too hard for you? if some guys get level 2 then work damn hard and learn tons by doing it to make a wee life for their families what are they doing wrong, a lot of jobs we do now dont require technician or advanced level, nothing gets fixed now all things just get binned and renewed like for like, and these days how many people are required to design a full install of 20 whbs and wc's over 4 levels
i agree, this is where i am.
started in '77' on apprenticeship got sacked by my uncle.lol.
later did the nvq 2 & tech 3 and thought why do i need system planning for large projects, buisness planning, stock ordering?. unless i wanted a job in the offfice.
nvq 3 dont make you a better plumber than a nvq 2,
experience does.imo.

also, i disagree that a nvq 2 is a basic level and nvq 3 advanced, as your what the o.p is saying that there is no intermediate level. now c&g 2&3 i would say is a basic level off plumbing knowledge but not skill.imo.

The hardest thing about "renewables" is the spelling.

If you go into industrial it is actually easier. It is all designed for you and you just do your job. Fit pipes from A to B. All pretty basic principles on a bigger scale with no worries.

If you want to get into design, technician level (or whatever it is called these days) gives you the basics but you need to go for a minimum HNC or degree. It is mainly maths and can be extremely boring unless you like algebra.
Nothing much new in those routes. That has always been the way.

i agree, this is where i am.
started in '77' on apprenticeship got sacked by my uncle.lol.
later did the nvq 2 & tech 3 and thought why do i need system planning for large projects, buisness planning, stock ordering?. unless i wanted a job in the offfice.
nvq 3 dont make you a better plumber than a nvq 2,
experience does.imo.

also, i disagree that a nvq 2 is a basic level and nvq 3 advanced, as your what the o.p is saying that there is no intermediate level. now c&g 2&3 i would say is a basic level off plumbing knowledge but not skill.imo.

C&G call it basic and advanced. if you have the advanced you have more knowledge and skills

Lol, never had a leak come through a roof, your right on there tamz. Last year it did happen to me.Forgot to tighten up a compression fitting on a trv. Went to refill the system and heard this gushing noise upstairs. Ive never moved so quick. Fortunately got it dried out with no dmage done, but it was a lesson learnt, check and check again if not sure.

ok lets take a step further, why didnt you study and achieve technician Level, too hard for you? if some guys get level 2 then work damn hard and learn tons by doing it to make a wee life for their families what are they doing wrong, a lot of jobs we do now dont require technician or advanced level, nothing gets fixed now all things just get binned and renewed like for like, and these days how many people are required to design a full install of 20 whbs and wc's over 4 levels

Yeah, tried, but firm said at time I had to do at least a minimum of 3 years post gaining my advanced (JIB grading stated you had to do 2 years after apprenticeship to be considered 'advanced') before they would consider 'technician' level as this was only for the ones identified as 'supervision material'.
About 6 or 7 from my class done it but hey were mostly council plumbers.
Not at all having a go at them but the attitude in the whole industry itself. This is not just confined to 'fast trackers' but others in trade as well. People should be encouraged by others in trade, good colleges and the government funding the courses properly.
Anyway, on the NVQ 3 front, spoke to couple of college lecturers friends of mine today and got this approximate info below about the current NVQ3 course.
Time on course 1 to 1.5 year this is going to college 1 day per week 9-5 etc.
40% is just 'Gas', content is the same as ccn1 and the appliances elements
25% is Central Heating and most of it is all domestic sealed and vented systems, Part L stuff, wiring s & y plans, boilers and so on.
15% is Unvented systems with quite a bit of practical
10-15% is water regs and cold and hot water
Only a small amount of soils, wastes and drains etc
10% is 'planning' but most of that was calculating rads, boilers, heating loads, expansion vessels, building regs, specifying controls to part L, pipe sizes etc

Seemed a really good course to me, with really up to date stuff, cannot think why some 'duck out' and apparently the new nvq will have gas and renewables as part of it.

Hi, first post, be gentle....

I am new to the industry & a 'fast tracker':cool:, I've just spent the last 8 months doing a Gas ACS, CPA1, Energy Efficiency (Part L) a week at Baxi Main Potterton & days at Vokera, Vaillant, Viessmann, Glow Worm, Honeywell etc. I'm in the process of starting an NVQ2 at college to learn the water side.

Reading the last post regarding the NVQ Level 3, the only thing I'm missing is the water regs, soils & unvented!!

Have I done them the wrong way round? :confused:

Thats cost you some serious money Dormouse. Let me guess, you used to work in IT?

ha ha.... no not quite... I have a background in logistics & recruitment, HGV ADR (Gas cylinders, chemicals & tankers). Factor in that I've had to buy all of my tools & van for the first time, yeah, you could say it cost a few quid!!

Hi, first post, be gentle....

I am new to the industry & a 'fast tracker':cool:, I've just spent the last 8 months doing a Gas ACS, CPA1, Energy Efficiency (Part L) a week at Baxi Main Potterton & days at Vokera, Vaillant, Viessmann, Glow Worm, Honeywell etc. I'm in the process of starting an NVQ2 at college to learn the water side.

Reading the last post regarding the NVQ Level 3, the only thing I'm missing is the water regs, soils & unvented!!

Have I done them the wrong way round? :confused:

yes the short courses are competence person schemes not quals as such

I wasnt being harsh...

Just interested. A lot of the guys I meet that have spent a lot on training and do things properly are ex IT engineers. Just an observation.

I have one working for me right now. He's a good guy.

I knew I should av used a smilie , it was a bit tongue in cheek Danny;)
THe IT guys I know could pass all the exams but wouldnt know which end of the spanner to use . ......stop it ;)

i find IT guys are very good at sorting issues with computers and stuff

That is what I am doing and it comes with a qaulification otherwise I wouldnt be doing it if was of no value.

ring any of the elec bodies,ask them what you require to sign off minor work in a domestic setting,defined scope and full scope as i said not a qualification and not a requirement ,a knowledge of what your doing and 17th edition wiring regs is what they will ask for.

ive stepped through a couple!!
So have i, just the once touch wood. Straight through, breaking a couple of ribs and a finger and various cuts and scrapes on the way.

Got the afternoon off work to get my finger in a splint, a couple of sticking plasters and told to swallow some paracetamols if i needed them:p

So have i, just the once touch wood. Straight through, breaking a couple of ribs and a finger and various cuts and scrapes on the way.

Got the afternoon off work to get my finger in a splint, a couple of sticking plasters and told to swallow some paracetamols if i needed them:p

yeh ive got the scars, long scar just to the side of my nipple, very painful

best one i had was working over a factory urinal, i went straight through as someone was taking a leak, he jumped through his skin!!!!!

These courses make a mockery of my 4 years both in college and on the job as a proper apprentice. No wonder many house holders are going down the DIY route as they're sh*t scared who'll come and work in their homes with all the inexperienced and cowboys out there claiming to be experts.

I don't touch electrics as I'm not trained or qualified, or major joinery work or large gas installations, even though I know how and have the skills to do these, yet in two weeks someone can claim to be a trained professional. I've been a plumber since 1982, but how is a house holder to know that over someone who'se been one for two weeks? It should be law that a qaulified trainee should have to do a further probationery period.

These courses make a mockery of my 4 years both in college and on the job as a proper apprentice. No wonder many house holders are going down the DIY route as they're sh*t scared who'll come and work in their homes with all the inexperienced and cowboys out there claiming to be experts.

I don't touch electrics as I'm not trained or qualified, or major joinery work or large gas installations, even though I know how and have the skills to do these, yet in two weeks someone can claim to be a trained professional. I've been a plumber since 1982, but how is a house holder to know that over someone who'se been one for two weeks? It should be law that a qaulified trainee should have to do a further probationery period.

so who does the electrica when youve fitted a central heating system? do you want to spend another 4 years as an apprentice to wire it up?

so who does the electrica when youve fitted a central heating system? do you want to spend another 4 years as an apprentice to wire it up?
A fully qualified electrician does that for me and he gives me a safety certificate when he's finished. I add his fee on to the bill and when I explain to the customer that he/she is getting electrics done by a fully qualified electrician and it will be guaranteed safe complete with a certificate and guarantee, they always agree.

A fully qualified electrician does that for me and he gives me a safety certificate when he's finished. I add his fee on to the bill and when I explain to the customer that he/she is getting electrics done by a fully qualified electrician and it will be guaranteed safe complete with a certificate and guarantee, they always agree.

well its supposed to be a plumbers job, thats why they teach it on the plumbing course, you need a vrq part p to enable you to certify, no different to learning gas then needing you acs. thats why competence person schemes are excellent for the industry

the problem is people use them as short cuts, often sold as full courses by private money making companies. dont blame the qual or the tradesman, blame the people misusing and miselling them

well its supposed to be a plumbers job, thats why they teach it on the plumbing course, you need a vrq part p to enable you to certify, no different to learning gas then needing you acs. thats why competence person schemes are excellent for the industry

the problem is people use them as short cuts, often sold as full courses by private money making companies. dont blame the qual or the tradesman, blame the people misusing and miselling them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fully qualified plumber in two weeks. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock