Discuss Gas hob on Flexy !!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

royston

Some one i know had a boiler fixed over christmas by a gas engineer.And to cut a long story short about wanting a new gas hob and electric oven not going back far enough, the gas man said you are allowed to fit a flexy onto gas hob to get the pipe back to wall far enough for oven to fit.
Now being in the process of completing my gas exams im sure you are not allowed to do this and it has to be rigid copper pipework to hob with a gas tap on, im i right or misunderstood ?

I went to a job that reported a gas leak last year. Fixed the leak,noticed their gas hob was connected with a flexi.Must be connected with rigid pipework. If you think about it most gas hobs are above ovens which vent heat onto the hob pipework.Not the best place for a rubber hose!

Oh dear,

only allowed rigid pipework on any fixed appliance.

Only flueless appliances which have to be moved out for fitting/maintenance etc are allowed a flexi.

Ie a stand alone cooker.

Yeah exactly the reasons i thought were correct. Im glad to see that my memory is still holding onto information !!

Your on the ball mate. Costs nothing to ask. Competant you are.

I lived in Italy for a few years, our gas hob was connected by a rubber tube with jubilee clips. The tube was gas approved and this was a standard way of fitting them.

by flexi do you mean a braided "plumbing" flexi? if so you are all correct, if by flexi you mean a bayonet fitting and hose, they are allowed unless the manufacturer expressely says must be fitted with rigid pipework, however a bayonet hose has a heat limit of about 70 degrees C so if it is behind an electric oven care needs to be taken to ensure the position of the hose isnt subjected to heat above this, however because im saying it is ok in some situations thats not to say i agree, it is laziness of the highest order, and a properly fitted copper supply means the oven fits in no problem, i used to do loads of kitchens as homers and we used to go on a friday night and strip everything out, on checking the MI for the hob and if it was allowed i would rig up the new hob onto a frame and use the cooker hose and bayonet to connect it to leave them the use of the hob overnight, temp work like that i was happy with but never agree it is a finished job,

Kirkgas is spot on... the regs state that flued appliances must have rigid pipework. not flueless.

gb-gas

Im not sure if he had been told rubber or braided as he just told me flexy. Think i will when qualified pipe hobs in rigid copper, seems safer to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas hob on Flexy !!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock