Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss gas pipe in concrete in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

SafeGasInstall

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
just seen a job for builder ......

he wants to run gas to boiler under the screed in the insulation it self . I told him we can get track pipe or steel and put it in the screed , but he says no as other plumber in the past done it in copper in the insulation . we are not allowed to do this , or are we ???

Here it is Sir, in black and white, it should help:

From current BS 6891:2005
Installation of low pressure gas pipework of up to 35 mm (R1¼) in domestic premises
(2nd family gas) — Specification

8.8 Pipes buried in concrete ground floors
Installation pipework shall not be buried in concrete slabs.
8.8.2 Rigid stainless steel pipework shall not be buried in concrete screeds.
Pipe buried in concrete screed shall be installed in accordance with Figure 5.
Where a pipe is buried in a concrete screed there shall be a minimum of 25 mm of cover above the pipe.
8.8.3 Pipes buried in concrete ground floors shall be protected against failure caused by movement. Joints shall be kept to a minimum. Compression fittings shall not be buried in concrete screeds or concrete slab.

COMMENTARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON 8.8.3
Suitable methods of protection are as follows.
a) Pipe laid on top of base concrete and subsequently covered by a screed (see also 9.2.1).
b) Steel or copper pipe installed into preformed ducts with protective covers.
c) Steel or copper pipe fitted with additional soft, non-permeable covering material. The coverings should be soft and thick enough to provide movement yet resilient enough to support the concrete cover while it is setting.
The covering should be at least 5 mm thick and resistant to concrete ingress which would negate its ability to allow movement.
Reference should also be made to 9.2.1 for the application of adequate corrosion protection.

9.2 Buried pipework
9.2.1 Internal environment
Pipework that is buried in a solid floor or wall shall be factory sheathed, or protected on site by wrapping or with suitable bituminous paint protection.
The entire section of pipe and fittings to be buried shall be protected. Any sheathing or wrapping shall be examined for cuts or other defects and made good prior to use. Joints and fittings shall be cleaned, and wrapped or painted with bituminous paint after the satisfactory completion of a gas tightness test.
Galvanized or painted pipes shall not be buried without additional protection as specified in the previous paragraph.

COMMENTARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON 9.2.1.1
Protective measures are applied as a precaution against electrolytic and/or chemical corrosion. The use of factory bonded wrapping or sheathing is recommended.
9.2.1.2 Where installation pipes are to be buried in magnesium-oxy-chloride cement or magnesite flooring, they shall be of copper with a factory bonded sheath and jointed with copper capillary fittings.
Bends and joints shall be further protected by wrapping with a suitable plastic tape. All surfaces shall be clean and dry before the additional protection is applied with a minimum 50 % overlap to provide at least a layer of double thickness.

1bsss.jpg

copper is ok in screed if protected correctly, id go with tmaz's suggestion or trac pipe personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas pipe in concrete in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have decided to remove the timber floor boards and joists as they are effected by damp and rotting. Was hoping to infill and have slab and...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
We have an old gas pipe in the understairs cupboard. The previous occupants had the gas meter moved, but this old pipe remained. This pipe goes...
Replies
Views
Evening all, I’m currently in the process of refurbing my house, and have opted to wet UFH for the whole of the downstairs. The upstairs will be...
Replies
Views
Hi Some people (not plumbers) have advised me that it's not such a good idea to a) Have 4 x 90deg bends in a sewer pipe and b) Encase these pipes...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock