Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss gas pipe size help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stumas

My existing gas installation to my gas fire, cooker and old boiler which did hot water only is all in 15mm. Im thinking of having installed a new combi boiler. Would this need a 22mm feed to it, or not? Or would the 15mm be sufficient. I'm thinking of having a Bosch 28 junior installed.

Ask your installer

As said your gas engineer will work this out.
the question is so open ended.
Whats to say that 22mm is big enough, this needs to be properly calculated.

Because I'm horrible

what is the size of the connection on the boiler intake then the reason im asking is im having quotes done one has mentioned it needs 22mm the other has not the and I don't want to pick the wrong man for the job

You do that, you never know they might have all the same appliances as you have or intend to have. Fool.
yes fool ive told you its a bosch 28 junior it can only suck so much gas in cant it no good putting in a 38mm I live in a house not a factory else id have a bigger boiler , yes he has the same boiler havnt you heard of rule of thumb

Last edited by a moderator:
yes fool ive told you its a bosch 28 junior it can only suck so much gas in cant it no good putting in a 38mm I live in a house not a factory else id have a bigger boiler dick yes he has the same boiler havnt you heard of rule of thumb

You've just demonstrated why a little knowledge is a very dangerous thing...

Close this thread please!

yes close it advice is crap no wonder no one trust exspensive plumbers

No need to feel offended. The chaps here are just reinforcing the use of properly qualified gas engineers for this work. If someone comes out and says "yes I will connect this boiler to a 15mm gas pipe" they are probably no good. It is likely that this boiler will require a larger size pipe, which will be required sizing properly, so a Gas Safe Registered engineer should be able to quote you what is required. We can not give you specific advice on this, as we have not seen the job and we cannot give specific gas technical advice on the public forum.

you could need 15mm,22mm,28mm,35mm?? it depends on the appliances, the route and restriction of the pipework. So how can somebody on the internet tell you what pipe you need?

this is why you have been told to ask your gas safe engineer.

i normally fit 28mm min as a "rule of thumb"

Last edited:
No need to feel offended. The chaps here are just reinforcing the use of properly qualified gas engineers for this work. If someone comes out and says "yes I will connect this boiler to a 15mm gas pipe" they are probably no good. It is likely that this boiler will require a larger size pipe, which will be required sizing properly, so a Gas Safe Registered engineer should be able to quote you what is required. We can not give you specific advice on this, as we have not seen the job and we cannot give specific gas technical advice on the public forum.
Thank you Reg Man. That is helpful. The trouble is I have had two gas safe people quote for the same job. One has mentioned that I need a new 22mm but the other didn't mention it, even though both looked at it. I want to pick the right person to do it. I'm only asking because I thought that a forum would be able to tell me the way to go as I thought I would get the right advice from you all.

you got the right advise, the only person who can answer correctly is the installer you use. The pipework will def need upgrading, if the second engineer has not mentioned it then phone and ask him/her what they have allowed for in the quote.

if you come onto a forum with a bad atitude you will never get help.

Last edited:
OP I am closing this thread as you have been given more than enough advice. Get a gsr in to size your pipework properly. Rule of thumb doesn't exist in the gas industry and could well kill you.

Next time you cop an attitude with the members on here because you're not getting the advice you think you should will be the last. Take that as a friendly warning!

We cannot and will not give advice on the installation or repair of boilers, cookers or ANY gas appliances for your own safety.

Please go to Gas Safe Register | Ensure your gas engineer is registered. or post a thread in the 'I'm looking for a plumber / gas engineer' section of these forums remembering to include your location - [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

If you are gsr please increase your post count to 10+ then send a PM (Private Message) with your gsr details to either Gas man - http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/users/8668/ or Redsaw - http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/users/2718/ who will check you and then give you access to the gsr private forum.

Providing gas-related advice to anybody who should not be touching gas and cannot prove their competetence is unacceptable. We will take whatever action we deem appropriate to prevent such advice being given

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas pipe size help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock