Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss gas tracpipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buckley plumb

had a leaflet saying this plastic coated flexi stainless steel pipe can now be used in houses - what are peoples views on this .would this also mean there is no ridgid pipe to the meter if this is used

ant

Been out quite a few years now,great product,price is the down fall for domestic,great if you have a long run to do

As long as meter supported correctly do not think a problem connected straight to meter,due to fittings may require a short section of copper or iron though

[DLMURL]http://www.omegaflex.co.uk/Documents/D&I2005Rev0105.pdf[/DLMURL]

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
Seen it where in flats they've run it all the way to the meter with an iron soldered onto the meter outlet, looked awful but worked.
Can't see many domestic applications that would warrant it due to cost but some people like the easiest way possible regardless.
I take it that it can't be run on an externally?

Used it on a boiler move recently, took a quarter of the time to put in a 28mm supply. Main prob is the fittings are about 17 quid!

have to be really careful with flux makes it leak like a sieve and the cut needs to be good apart from that its a fast job

I completed the highly intensive:wink_smile: course to become a fully qualified track pipe fitter last year. Got the laminated badge to prove it. With my name on it!:cool: Got to play about with it a bit then but not used it since.
would this also mean there is no ridgid pipe to the meter if this is used
ant
If the meter is properly supported by meter bracket the track pipe can run directly from the meter outlet union. Came across quite a few installs with it.
I take it that it can't be run on an externally?
It can be run externally.

The main issues I have noticed is that the union connections have not been protected with the silicone tape provided after tightness test has proved carcass is sound.

I still don't think the time saving and ease of use offsets the price as yet, but if the price was to come down a bit it could become more popular.

Been out quite a few years now,great product,price is the down fall for domestic,great if you have a long run to do

As long as meter supported correctly do not think a problem connected straight to meter,due to fittings may require a short section of copper or iron though

[DLMURL]http://www.omegaflex.co.uk/Documents/D&I2005Rev0105.pdf[/DLMURL]

imho

BS6400 quotes that you need a minimum of 600mm rigid pipe from the meter outlet before changing to semi rigid

Last edited by a moderator:
BS6400 quotes that you need a minimum of 600mm rigid pipe from the meter outlet before changing to semi rigid
With reference to my previous post about rigid connection to meter.
I questioned this during my ACS as I have witness a number of installs as such. The following was highlighted to me:

BS6891
8.2 Connection to the meter installation
Unless the meter is securely restrained (e.g. by a meter bracket), the connection to the meter installation
shall be in securely fixed rigid pipe for at least the first 600 mm.

have fitted quite alot of this stuff in flats recently. the reason for its use was no fittings in floor and less pressure loss, it does cost alot of money tho.

you also have to be careful and make sure no flux gets into it, some of the second fixers had soldered and dropped flux down the inside of the pipe and it pin holed. So its best to solder up out of position and then connect to be 100% sure.

Tracpipe is a nightmare if you get any water in it on a long run, you can't blow it out, as it just spreads out over the ridges and then over time flows back to where it was effecting gas flow.

Tracpipe is a nightmare if you get any water in it on a long run, you can't blow it out, as it just spreads out over the ridges and then over time flows back to where it was effecting gas flow.

dont get water in it then? you should have the ends taped while installing anyway right? :(

dont get water in it then? you should have the ends taped while installing anyway right? :(
Didn't fit it, just identified the reason for the intermittent lock out on the boilers they were feeding, then I told the installers they should have taped both ends :), took them weeks to clear it.

I have also come across trackpipe under mobile homes where movement has allowed the pipe to pull apart from badly made fittings allowing the gas to blow, so I wouldn't be a fan unless I was making the joints myself.

I have also come across trackpipe under mobile homes where movement has allowed the pipe to pull apart from badly made fittings allowing the gas to blow, so I wouldn't be a fan unless I was making the joints myself.

Is it approved for mobile homes? If it's touring caravans I thought you had to use flared connections?

thanks for the input its nice to see what they do else where i wouldnt give it house room but i,ve seen miles of the stuff dragged in through duct in finished buildings by half wits god only knows the actual condition after its installed i cant believe the outer sheath is still continuous but its not for me to say i cant prove anything and untill something goes badly wrong every one is forced to go along with it

its a tried and tested pipe system, but like all good things its only as good as the person who installed it.

i agree unfortunatly i,m in a situation where i fit 2" steel pipe external to the building and then run it into the building and its fitted by gsr folk the trac pipe is dragged into buildings our company isnt involved in by people who have no concern for the integrity of the pipe its not in a duct under the building as its pipe in pipe and its pulled past obstructions which they have no idea if the pipe is being damaged its then dragged up a tiny riser past more obsticles and the two ends are made off by a gsr fitter i just have a gut feeling something will go wrong somewhere what happened to no gas pipe under buildings (good question for kirkgas or the like) this is 50mm trac pipe being laid by untrained people wish i had raised this before

i agree unfortunatly i,m in a situation where i fit 2" steel pipe external to the building and then run it into the building and its fitted by gsr folk the trac pipe is dragged into buildings our company isnt involved in by people who have no concern for the integrity of the pipe its not in a duct under the building as its pipe in pipe and its pulled past obstructions which they have no idea if the pipe is being damaged its then dragged up a tiny riser past more obsticles and the two ends are made off by a gsr fitter i just have a gut feeling something will go wrong somewhere what happened to no gas pipe under buildings (good question for kirkgas or the like) this is 50mm trac pipe being laid by untrained people wish i had raised this before
The site with the water issues had a 1,000+ apartments so a pretty big development, Tracpipe laid at the start of building by the developers, months later gas fitters connected, tested and fired the boilers, the fitters were held responsible for the lack of working pressure that I found six months later, as they had signed off on it. I think if they had documented that they hadn't fitted the pipework they may have had a better defence.

Trac pipe? Great material. But unfortunately mostly badly installed in my experience. If done properly it looks good, but due to the proper support, which normaly requires cable track which is very expensive along with the expensive track pipe; it is not often done well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas tracpipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am in process of replacing an existing sink with a new stainless steel one. The existing tap is plumbed directly to copper which means that it...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock