Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Gas works in council properties? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all.

This is a silly question, if I live in a council property and I'm gas safe registered am I allowed to carry out any gas work?

Reason I ask this is, when I had my Gas Safe inspection the inspector told me I couldn't touch any of the appliances cos I haven't had permission from the council? Any advice?

need owners permission to alter anything. if fitting a cooker you will be fine just issue a gas cert to council.

No you can't, is the simple answer. And if you were in a council house why would you do it yourself? There's no need they'll service every year and renew every 8 or 10.

Pretty sure this came up fairly recently with a gsr member and he forced to take time off and watch whilst somebody else did the work.

It's my moms property and she's had a new gas meter today and the guy has condemned the cooker. I'd already advised my mom that it was no good even though the council had let her keep it when they done the yearly safety check. She's been out and got a replacement cooker so asked me to fit it.

I had seen on this site a few times about similar issues.

If she's had to replace it like she has then is it the councils responsibility to come and connect it? That don't sound right to me.

Or is the issue because I live there

you will be fine fitting the cooker as it belongs to your mother. just leave a gas cert with your mom.

Be careful in case the council try and use it as an issue to evict.

I don`t see one, starting to think you are misunderstanding me.

No I know what you mean. AWHeating and APPlumbing posted conflicting answers so I'm wondering if there's a reason as to why I'm not allowed to install.

no you cant as your not on there approved contractors list

Go ahead and fit the cooker, no one will bat an eyelid, council tenants pay me to fit them all the time round here, im not on any list with the council

You can't install a boiler. The cooker isn't the councils property or responsibility. They will only ever do a visual check on that appliance. So you can fit the cooker!

Reason I ask is because I've only been gas safe for 8 months so I don't want any marks or issues against me.

Reason I ask is because I've only been gas safe for 8 months so I don't want any marks or issues against me.

best thing to do is phone the council up and ask

I probably do one a week for H/A's i aint on any lists now , use to be but my big mouth soon ended that.

fitted dozens of cookers to capped supplies in council houses.
tenant usually states they need a cert to show council it has been done properly.
its the tenants property afterall and the council supply a means for installation as standard.
if a tenant asks for an independant gas check, they can do that too without the owners say so!. but they will still conduct their own anual check.
never had a problem only with supply piping that had been chopped to a cooker, the council came out and ran new supply for me to fit.

The council won't evict a person for fitting a new cooker!

As long as it's done by gsr & cert issued they'll be fine I'm sure as it'll save them money.

Ring them up & say you've got your mum a new cooker as old one condemned. Tell them you'll fit it as your gsr & you'll issue a cert for FREE.

No issues I bet

I doa lot of work for LGA. As above fit new cooker issue cp12 and all will be good. To be honest loads are fitted diy and nothing happens about it!

as everyone has said the gas point is the ll and the cooker is the tennants in hardship cases the council or HA will gift the tennant a cooker so they dont have to be responsible for it

No you can't, is the simple answer. And if you were in a council house why would you do it yourself? There's no need they'll service every year and renew every 8 or 10.
your living in the past councils will not take on anything they dont have to now even if they supply a cooker they make it a gift

We work on a council contract, cooker is the tennants responsibility, for fitting and maintenance. Issue cp12 job done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas works in council properties? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock