Search the forum,

Discuss Get a Pro silicone finish in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumber0808

Purchased a Fugi kit today and used them on two bathrooms.

i am decent enough at getting a good finish and have tried all the tools to try and get it looking perfect.

A bad silicone finish can ruin a bathroom, there easy enough for anyone to use and a produce really good finish. £11 from toolstation which I thought was a bit steep for 3 bits of plastic but they are top class.

Toolstation > Adhesives & Sealants > Sealant Tools > Fugi 3-piece Profiling Tool

image.jpg

I often wonder, as so many are now using flexible connectors, and I know most on here hate them, if one should silicone finish the area behind the taps and then fix the taps afterwards.

I often wonder, as so many are now using flexible connectors, and I know most on here hate them, if one should silicone finish the area behind the taps and then fix the taps afterwards.

Good idea, but everyone says you should fill the bath before siliconing though!

Last edited:

I always do this

I could be wrong here but I don't see the point in half filling a bath before siliconing.

When I install a bath it's on batons at every point possible and wooden supports if there's a corner that doesn't hit a wall. My baths are solid and I could bloody jump up and down in them and they will not move.

Now for that reason I do not bother filling before siliconing

yep I am another, I have never filled a bath ever to silicone (I would end up in it!!). Same again with the taps always put them on last.

Last edited:
Purchased a Fugi kit today and used them on two bathrooms.

i am decent enough at getting a good finish and have tried all the tools to try and get it looking perfect.

A bad silicone finish can ruin a bathroom, there easy enough for anyone to use and a produce really good finish. £11 from toolstation which I thought was a bit steep for 3 bits of plastic but they are top class.

Toolstation > Adhesives & Sealants > Sealant Tools > Fugi 3-piece Profiling Tool

View attachment 18262

I have been using this kit for years and love it. The kit I bought has the 3 pieces shown plus a further 3 for different sizes of bead plus 2 gizmos that clip on them for going over grout. I would recommend it to anybody, it makes the job dead easy.

I looked at the fungi tool the other week,I think I will get one if you guys rate them.:D.

Ive been using them for years and dont know what i would do without em!

I still struggle on cotners with these. Especially shower trays which have all the little joints in them. Jad a job today to do and re did it a couple of times. In the end I still wasn't happy withbit but ran out of time. Also, it does get caugjt in the grout lines a lot which messes it up a bit. And, if the walls not square it's a bit of a mission

Tilt it across grout lines so that it doesn't sink into them. Takes a little practice but the finish is worth it.

I'm too tight to spend a tenner on anything mentioned, so I use the back-end of one of these.
spoon.jpeg

wet wipes with citric acid in,you don't need bits of plastic wilkos own brand are about 50 p and they work fine

Yeah and when the citric acid gets in the cuts in your fingers it's almost as nice as flux getting in them

I fill a bath with tap water first to weigh it down, yes I use battons and always glue a bath to the wall with silicone but baths are so thin these days and people are heavier there will aways be small degrees of movement in the acrylic and dodgy silicone seals are always the main cause of water through ceilings.

I have been using this kit for years and love it. The kit I bought has the 3 pieces shown plus a further 3 for different sizes of bead plus 2 gizmos that clip on them for going over grout. I would recommend it to anybody, it makes the job dead easy.
so that's what those black plastic bits are for. What do you do with them?

Oh laco burns. Especially when your hands cut to bits and your wrestling a flux covered fitting!

Yeah burns even more in your eyes!!! Was fluxing a fitting in an awkward position under floorboard flicked the brush bit too quickly, blob of laco straight in my!!!!! I genuinely thought I was going blind ! Freaked the feck outta me!

I ended up in casualty about a month ago. Solvent welding a pipe and flicked the brush towards me, and straight in the eye....I was wearing glasses too, so very unlucky. Got to the hospital and had a lovely chat in the waiting room with a stone mason, who had previously got acid in his eye and had his eye removed to be cleaned and put back in! I crapped myself. Luckily no harm done to me.

wuss,its nowhere near as painful as laco

If you want to know what real pain is.
Do as I once did: Go for the p**n star look and lather your scrotum in Veet hair remover.
I'm shedding tears now just thinking about it.

Last edited:
the fugi kit is cheaper online and comes with extra bits that you dont get at toolstation.

I have been using those fungi kits for years and altho expensive you make your moolah back straight away when you reseal a bath.

I ended up in casualty about a month ago. Solvent welding a pipe and flicked the brush towards me, and straight in the eye....I was wearing glasses too, so very unlucky. Got to the hospital and had a lovely chat in the waiting room with a stone mason, who had previously got acid in his eye and had his eye removed to be cleaned and put back in! I crapped myself. Luckily no harm done to me.
Got solder on the rim of my eyelid last week, Christ did it burn but just glad it didn't go straight in eye

If you want to know what real pain is.
Do as I once did: Go for the p**n star look and lather your scrotum in Veet hair remover.
I'm shedding tears now just thinking about it.

Feel your pain brother, I used nair on mine and left bit too long, no word of a lie the crease in my groin was bleeding, worst pain ever

Indeed, was only soldering a rad tail but I'm pretty short! Worst thing is keep wiping my cos sweats getting in it and every time irritating the burn
put some vaseline on your eyebrow stops the sweat rolling down onto your eyelid, job done !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Get a Pro silicone finish in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes a squeak noise as I turn it on or off, left tap is 100% perfect and noiseless. This grohe tap is like one unit, so no screw notch or way I can remove...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock