Discuss glass fuses a bit of general knowledge in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

obseen16

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hey guys. Been to see a glowworm ultimate tonight. The fan has jammed and as a result the glass fuse had blown. Went to a local independant merchant to see if he had any fuses in stock. Got a fuse ready to replace when I fit the fan tomorrow but the new fuse has a marking saying f1A240v but the boilers fuse is a T1A240v did he give me the wrong fuse? Can I put a quick blow In the boiler and more to the point will it work ok with a quick blow fuse? Cheers guys. J

Glass fuses can be funny

You can have
Quick blow
Slow blow. (no puns!)
Motor rated
And many others

Worst case scenario is that you blow pcb

it will do,1a240 is 1 amp 240 volts ignore the first letter

aslong as it says 1a in there somewere you dont need to worry about the other markings, from my experience anyway. Ive changed loads and they always say different things, was worried about this myself when i 1st started. Aslong as the rating is the same then it is fine to fit, this is my experience but i may stand to be corrected.

So long as it's 1A you should be ok...
Some PCBs want a fast blow fuse for extra protection, but some motors or solenoids etc may pop a fast blow fuse with the initial inrush current when the motor or coil is first energised (sorry, back to my old electrical / electronic geeky days!).

If there's a special requirment it'll often be clearly marked in either the MIs or on the fuse holder

Last edited by a moderator:
You are replacing a slow blow fuse with a fast blow of same rating. At worst the fast blow fuse would blow a lot easier than the original.

Well you live and learn. I have a pack of glass fuses (every consievable fuse you could want) and change liek for like. Sounds like I've been making a rod for my own back. Ta.

I think Ebay. I can't remember if I'm honest, as it was such a complete set, I bought two of them. I haven't had to buy another set yet as I'm still using the first one. Sorry!!!

Bloody handy. I know that a lot of electrical merchants sell them, but the prices are crazy. About ÂŁ60. I paid about ÂŁ20 a set.

In fairness, you don't change too many fuses, as if it blows more than once, you know the issue isn't the fuse!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to glass fuses a bit of general knowledge in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. First post on here. Called out to fault on Alpha HE 33. Fast blow fuse found to have blown. Faulty fan found to be problem. New fan...
Replies
Views
Good day everyone, I'm coming to this forum in the hope that the collective minds can help me. The story is long, depressing and complex so I'll...
Replies
Views
M
Needing some advice regarding a ferolli optima 701 I'm a gas safe engineer, but I've never had this issue and I wanna see if anybody else has...
Replies
Views
M
Needing some advice regarding a ferolli optima 701 I'm a gas safe engineer, but I've never had this issue and I wanna see if anybody else has...
Replies
Views
Matthew91
M
Hi all, i went to service one off these today but i had to abandon and say i'll be back in a couple of days. This has really throughn me badly and...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock