Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Glowworm Ultracom 30cxi not always modulating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rdt

I have a Glowworm Ultracom 30cxi fitted in the loft (out of sight out of mind) driven off a Honeywell CM921 wireless stat. With the cold weather I've taken more interest in it, and noticed that it's cycling a lot, and this seems to be because the boiler's often failing to modulate the burner.

For example, I've the CH temp set to 80 degrees. What often happens is that the burner comes on (3-4 flames on the display), the flow temp rises to 80 (from say 50 degrees, taking maybe 20-30 seconds), and then instead of the burner being modulated down (to 1-2 flames on the display) once it's reached target, it keeps it on high, so that the flow temp overshoots. It seems that when it's 2 degrees over the target temp (so 82 in this example), the burner cuts out fully, then the pump runs for N minutes, followed by a few seconds silence, before the whole thing is repeated again. This doesn't seem right!

Now it doesn't always do this. Sometime, as the target flow temp is reached, it correctly modulates the burner right down and maintains the flow at the target temp (or target-1 degree) without any problems.

I've not yet figured out the circumstances when it works properly and when it doesn't (boiler in the loft doesn't make it easy to watch it), to see if there's some pattern to things. I don't think I get the problem from cold though, as far as I can tell, it's seems to be more when the system has been on for a while (and maybe when the room temp is around the stat target temp - possibly, not sure about this) - I have had the problem when the room temp was a degree or two below the stat's target temp, so that stat should still have been calling for heat.

Anyone any ideas of what's happening?

I range rated the boiler down a bit (to 20kw, from default of 24) to see if this helped, but still got the problem.

cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
No fault codes.

As mentioned on another thread, I've a bunch of cast iron rads on the system with TRVs. These are all the furthest away from the boiler, and involve pipe runs with some tighter turns. To get these iron rads to heat up fully and balance things I've had to tighten the other (standard) rads' lock shields right down.

Bearing this in mind, could the resultant high resistance of the pipework mean that the pump can't move the water away from the boiler fast enough, causing it to overshoot the target temp and then shut off?

No fault codes.

As mentioned on another thread, I've a bunch of cast iron rads on the system with TRVs. These are all the furthest away from the boiler, and involve pipe runs with some tighter turns. To get these iron rads to heat up fully and balance things I've had to tighten the other (standard) rads' lock shields right down.

Bearing this in mind, could the resultant high resistance of the pipework mean that the pump can't move the water away from the boiler fast enough, causing it to overshoot the target temp and then shut off?

Sorry for the late response I've been away from the pc for a day or so.
Have you tried opening up the nearby rads to see if that stops the cycling?
Also how old is the system, often cycling can be due to a dirty/sludged up system paticulary within the primary heat exchanger, has the system been flushed and dosed with inhibitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Glowworm Ultracom 30cxi not always modulating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
P
Hi there, please help dont have a clue how to set this up. Ive recently installed a complete new central heating system in my house myself. The...
Replies
Views
R
Hoping someone can help. This boiler is really starting to annoy me now thankfully I have insurance on it but the engineers who come out have...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
R
Hey all, apologies for the long post: I've had a new Ideal Vogue boiler installed with a T6 wired thermostat so the OpenTherm is activated as...
Replies
Views
richardc1983
R
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock