Discuss Gravity hot water to fully pumped / sealed in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

That's it, it was in lotus 123 originally before excel was even heard of!!
I have just added another "box" to give a taste of a fairly typical (fully sealed) installation, its quite handy.

Attachments

• Expansion Vessel Calculation Extract Rev 4.zip
    10.2 KB · Views: 14
Re Static Head, I didn't include this is because I don't know where the EV will be located, if its located just above the boiler on the ground floor then you would add ~ 0.1 bar to the final pressure to get the maximum (and ) boiler system pressure, more significantly, but a bit unusual, if the EV was located in the attic then you would add ~ 0.4/0.5 bar to the final (EV) pressure to arrive at the maximum (and ) boiler system pressure, if in the hot press then add - 0.25 bar, and so on, with EV mounted above boiler (ground floor) then the pre pressure should not be less than 0.4/0.5 bar to ensure that you will get circulation through the upstairs rads on boiler start up.

Re System Volume, again I didn't include it directly in the calcs BUT I give a table with the % expansion for water temps from 50C to 110C, so for example if you estimate that your system contents are 100 litres and that the flow/return temps are say 75C/60C, mean of 67.5C...from the table this equals ~ 2% expansion so total expansion is 100*2% or 2 litres which you insert in the yellow box adjacent to "expansion"
You can see the calculations in the excel S.Sheet if you highlight each cell.

Thanks John. I was overlooking thermal expansion coefficient on the left of boxes 🤦‍♂️
[automerge]1578166817[/automerge]
How would an expansion vessel under charged at ground floor level affect circulation in upstairs rads on start up @John.g?

Last edited:
Re Static Head, I didn't include this is because I don't know where the EV will be located, if its located just above the boiler on the ground floor then you would add ~ 0.1 bar to the final pressure to get the maximum (and ) boiler system pressure, more significantly, but a bit unusual, if the EV was located in the attic then you would add ~ 0.4/0.5 bar to the final (EV) pressure to arrive at the maximum (and ) boiler system pressure, if in the hot press then add - 0.25 bar, and so on, with EV mounted above boiler (ground floor) then the pre pressure should not be less than 0.4/0.5 bar to ensure that you will get circulation through the upstairs rads on boiler start up.

Re System Volume, again I didn't include it directly in the calcs BUT I give a table with the % expansion for water temps from 50C to 110C, so for example if you estimate that your system contents are 100 litres and that the flow/return temps are say 75C/60C, mean of 67.5C...from the table this equals ~ 2% expansion so total expansion is 100*2% or 2 litres which you insert in the yellow box adjacent to "expansion"
You can see the calculations in the excel S.Sheet if you highlight each cell.

Thanks John. I was overlooking thermal expansion coefficient on the left of boxes 🤦‍♂️
[automerge]1578166817[/automerge]
How would an expansion vessel under charged at ground floor level affect circulation in upstairs rads on start up @John.g?

might be best to start a new thread as im sure theres more people who would like to learn this information

Reply to Gravity hot water to fully pumped / sealed in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
My disabled daughter’s hot water has stopped working. It’s a relatively modern Potterton boiler with an indirect sealed hot water system and a...
Replies
Views
Firstly I won't be touching or going anything... I only want advice if this is right.. my partners dad has a aga that is solid fuel unregulated...
Replies
Views
T
Hi We urgently need to get our h/w cylinder replaced because it's leaking. Our current system is oil boiler feeding underfloor downstairs...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Central Heating Pump - G Pump Force HE-RS25/6PWM-130 Hi, I would be grateful if someone could explain whether our CH system can cope with the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just had my central heating system "upgraded" for a four bed-roomed detached house. The heating company recommended going from the open...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock