Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Header tank overflowing and water is hot in the tank. in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Just recently noticed the overflow has started pouring water out, there are three tanks in the loft and I'm quite sure this is from the heating.
We have two boilers, one for water and one for the heating, it's an 8 bed Victorian house (bed and breakfast)
I went into the loft to see what was going on and the water in the tank is hot!

can anyone shed any light on this?

I have a pic on my phone, will try to upload it...

photo_2023-10-07_15-06-00.jpg

Heating on ?

You can see water is flowing into the overflow pipe on the right of the tank.
You need to purchase a float valve and arm

Screwfix sell one for £7.99

get a new float ball as well - sometimes they don't come off too easily.
Yeah, I noticed the arm had been previously bent down, an old trick to get a few more years service from the valve so it's probably ready for renewal but the most concerning thing is the fact that the water is hot, you can see the tank is deformed from the heat, If I fix the overflow issue, it's only going to create a problem somewhere else (maybe), and anyway, it just can't be efficient heating that tank.

If this is pumping over or expansion from the heating system it could potentially be a dangerous situation!
I can remember a report of a HW cylinder overheating, causing very hot water in a loft tank which distorted and deposited scalding water on the occupants of the bed in the room below.
Hopefully your tank is not so sited, but it sounds essential to fix quickly, especially in a B & B!

Reply to Header tank overflowing and water is hot in the tank. in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have hot water, tank for hot water why is the hot water boiling hot from tap,and shower, We are on a schedule for hot water via our hive app...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock