Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss HELP tap fitting question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Howdoi?

I am replacing a mixer tap and connectors on a basin (they were dripping and seem quite old).

I bought the only connectors that would fit the tap from screwfix. Unfortunately the other end is the same as the end of the copper stand pipe. They are both male threaded ends (there's probably a better way to describe it). Pictures attached.

I now therefore need some sort of double female ended (no jokes) connector to attach to both the copper stand pipe and the flexible connector. But if I can get that I'm not sure how I could connect it anyway as you can't screw both ends without rotating the tap (does that make sense?), which would be fine for the first one but because I have to attach two I'm not sure it would work.

Or maybe I just need a different flexible connector?

So my questions are:
1) Does such a piece exist (a double female connector) and does it allow you to screw into both ends without rotating either of the things you are screwing it to?
2) Do I need to provide more information to clarify the situation? If so, what?
3) Do I just need to buy new connectors? Is so how do I know what I need?

I'd appreciate some help - I presumed that there would be a standard set of connections before i started this job but it's all a bit opaque for a novice - which I definitely am!

Pictures of the offending parts and attached.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 60
Now ive stopped having a mean giggle.

Buy a 15mm pipe slice, a 2m length of copper pipe (plenty spare for next time!) jointing compound

if you didnt keep the old nuts (tut tut) buy a 15mm coupler compression and rob the nuts and olives out to fit the isolators.

just put a small section between the two connections. You want an inch of copper showing between each nut ideally, you eill have plenty of play on the flexis

put joining compound on the olives and tighten away :)

You have 15 mm compression fittings on the hoses, you need a nut and cone to go onto the chrome service valves that you have in situ. Then a short piece of copper tube between them both.

thats it.

Cheers!

Does a connector exist that would have just connected directly to the copper pipe? Would I always have had to put some pipe between it?

Hahaahhahahaahahahahahahahhaahha i am laughing my butt off XD

says you ray, with packets of black latex gloves turning up at the office.....

Other half is currently a black labrador, brighter and more obedient than most women I've dated!

i tried to just delete the pic but it made it even bigger! so it had to go completely lol

Does a connector exist that would attach directly do the copper pipes? Would I always have had to attach some pipe between the two or am I paying the price for buying the wrong connector?

I don't know if I dare make another post in my mischievous mood, I might get thrown off permanently!

I really appreciate the help guys. Can I distract you from the banter once more?

Does a connector exist that would have just connected directly to the copper pipe? Would I always have had to put some pipe between it? Am I just paying the price for buying the wrong one?

I will award a 'double female connector' DVD to anyone that can answer me.

Thanks again!

The connection you have is to go directly on to copper pipe, the issue you have is a lack of length and the isolator valves are there.

There are other connectors but you will be faced with other problems, like removing valves and having to turn all the water off if you get longer hoses.

What you have is fairly normal and would be resolved by buying a bit of pipe and extending it as described by the other guys. As you do that you will probably be thinking 'this plumbing lark is not as straight forward as I expected, Two trips to the merchant, hours wasted, nobody told you what to expect/the merchants only had one option on the shelf/no time to wait for a better part as someone want to use the sink/got to fix it today as too much work in tomorrow/had to buy an extra tool. This is exactly what happens to us every day, you just live with it so when you have completed the task and work out how much is should have cost at a minimum of ÂŁ25 an hour/parts/fuel etc you can go back to your day job and tell everyone you know how it really is for us, jobs take twice as long as expected, parts need to be got, the unforeseen always crops up and things cost money. You can take pride in the fact you are the start of a new national mood where people appreciate plumbers and heating engineers as opposed to complaining about prices/time keeping/having to get parts. Be thankful you have not had to connect onto old imperial pipes, you have access to the pipes and you house does not stink as many of our lovely customers do. Don't forget to account for the 50% tax taken off us too. (Vat+income+nat.ins+fuel duty etc)

Last edited by a moderator:
Go back to screwfix and ask for the same flexis but with female connection

You can buy a 1/2" to 1/2" but they are not easy to get hold of. Most suppliers don't stock them but I have picked them up in the DIY stores before. other than that its a bit of pipe as already said

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to HELP tap fitting question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock