Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jamesmilnes

Hi,

I've been having problems on and off with my central heating system which, despite one plumber call out, I am not sure how to solve.

A brief history of the situation:

I have a Potterton Gold H Range Condensing boiler in my loft. Ground floor has underfloor heating, first floor has radiators and one towel rail, loft has radiator and a towel rail.

About 2 months ago we had a leaking radiator valve on the first floor which was replaced by a handyman (note not a plumber!). The system was drained down and refilled for the work but once completed the boiler would not fire. The handyman called a plumber friend who suggested it was likely to be an air lock. We bled the rads and rails, re-pressurised and the boiler fired. Problem solved we thought.

Quite soon after we started to get occasions where we'd wake up to find the rads cold and no hot water as the boiler hadn't fired. Each time, a manual reset would light the flame and we'd get hot water and heating.

After a few weeks of this we called a plumber who came out on a day when the system decided to behave as designed and so the plumber wasn't really able to do much. He suggested our symptoms did indicate an air lock but couldn't be sure and then suggested a whole load of things he'd like to do as an overhaul to our system (only 5 yrs old) for a cost of over £700. We weren't keen given how vague he was on the problem.

3 days ago the boiler ceased firing full time. Each time the timer comes on the boiler can be manually fired by pressing the reset button.

Given that the problems started when the system was drained and refilled by a non-plumber I'm inclined to think it wasn't done properly so I can see how it might well be an air lock. What I'm not clear on is whether it can be an air lock if the boiler can be manually fired with the reset switch. Would an air lock not prevent it firing completely?

Any thoughts or advice on how best to proceed would be gratefully received.

Get another GSR in doesn't hurt to get a second opinion

Any idea if it's even possible for it to be an air lock that's preventing the boiler firing if it can be manually reset?

It could well be an air lock with the boiler at the top of the system. What has the other guy proposed to fix the problem

Has your boiler got air vents in the pipe work above it? If not I would drain down again and add some. Get your plumber to do this first. It's worth doing before spending big money. Loft boilers are a bugger for air locks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock