Discuss Hi - An interesting problem to be solved.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fridaypassion

Hi

I've registered here in the hope that the UKs finest plumbing brains can help me with a problem.

I have a consignment of smoke generating machines that have got a fault which I have tracked down to being a blocked tube. Heres a picture of the unit so I can hopefully explain in a little bit more detail:

30xc4nd.jpg

The small diameter copper pipe you see there basically winds round a heat exchanger and pops out the front of the unit. Fluid enters through the top there and travels around the heat exchange (a solid aluminium block) and by the time it comes out the front its smoke vapor.

Whats happened is that the pipe has become blocked because somwhere the smoke fluid has congealed (the units are on standby all the time as they are a security device)

So my problem to solve is essentially how to unblock a very small diameter (3mm ID) pipe that is wound quite tightly within the aluminium block?

So far I've tried blowing compressed air down and putting some electrical wire as far as I could inside the pipe but I could only get the first few inches before I must have hit a bend.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I'd really appreciate any help with this problem.

It wouldn't go round the bends unfortunately

I keep one in my toolbox for Clearing choked small diameter ch pipes.

I wonder if u could grind a coat hanger down a bit to make it slightly skinier to fight round the bends. Other that that I can't think of anything else that could be used matey. Sorry

is it eucalyptus oil?. cant you get a cleaner fluid from lighting effect shop.
otherwise you need some mig welding wire 1.2mm bend over the end to stop it digging in, any welder will give you a couple of meters.

already posted a similar reply to a blocked water pipe a few days ago but what about curtain wire .....alternatively if you can use the compression fitting that appears to have been undone on top of unit you could obtain a new coupling and possibly cut into the pipe at a more advantagous point good luck..regards turnpin

Last edited:
Hi guys

Thanks for all the replies. I've tried some wire and a coat hanger to no avail. I have a couple of other options to sound you out on.

I've thought of getting something like fernox in a syringe and trying to push that down the pipe do you think that would work? Does fernox eat through gunge?

The other option is just to cut off the pipe and get some more copper pipe of the same diameter (would a plumbers merchants sell this?) and wrap it around the outside of the aluminium block. I think this would work as a last resort.

Was going to suggest a drain cleaning chemical drip fed down pipe work,however using strong chemicals like this you have to be very careful,maybe try a diluted mixture first to see if clears,leave over night,however as said,handle with care ,make sure room well ventilated or in this weather do outside,make sure you ware correct protecting gear and have a bucket of water available if quick dilution required for any reason
remember when you clear blockage,chemical will/may come out the other end of pipework,so again allow for this,when clear,make sure you flush through well with water
maybe you could rig a flushing system up to be used after the machine has been used to prevent this happening again,maybe fit a tee piece with two valves attached
imho

Last edited by a moderator:
The gunge is essentially food based as the smoke fluid the unit pumps is vegetable based.

Has anyone any recommendations for products I could try? The nastier the better probably!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hi - An interesting problem to be solved.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock