Search the forum,

Discuss Hi to you all. Have a problem I hope you can assist please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UFOned

I hope someone can point me in the right direction. It seems my wife and I go from one disaster to another and all this has taken its toll on both of us. The latest disaster is that the en suite shower water outlet is smelling the extension out and into our bedroom. We have a septic tank that is quite modern. It has a blade going round and aerating the stuff 24/7. Here is what we have tried to do to rectify the matter:
1 - Run the water from the shower to ensure no leaks are visible in the garage below on the extension. And that is also running the bath and sink as well as the toilet. All seem to flowing well as you can hear the water running down the pipework.
2 - Took off the septic tanks lid and nothing was found that was obvious to resolve it.
3 - Took off the breather cap and tied a cloth around it as a temp measure. I read that if the breather hole is blocked it can cause a suction taking the water from the water pipe traps.
4 - Looked down the outside vent at the side of the house. It had the same smell as the septic tank and the shower outlet.

I have done everything to the best of my knowledge. I live in chronic pain 400mg morphine a day so anything I do it costs me in pain and morphine. I cannot see how we can assess anything else. Is there anything I have missed other than pulling up the shower tray. That is not something I want to go to as we are suppose to be selling the house. We inherited all the problems from the last lying owners. And we thought we were on the home straight as the house is up for sale. But as usual life seems to have other ideas. So would be grateful if anyone has any ides to help. The shower tray is like a half circle. And is narrow in depth; the outside measurement at the front is 6.5cm high. Looking forward to hearing your solutions. And I hope its not about ripping it out?

Is the trap holding water for the seal? Shower traps have an inserts to maintain the seal and these can go missing.

Ours did. The GSD still denies any knowledge

Hi, You would be best employ a plumber to investigate the cause of the smell. It may be a dergo valve on the soil pipe which is faulty. Without looking it would be hard to give a conclusive answer.

Thanks for your replies. Here are some images I have just taken of the trap. Thank you for giving me advice. Its much appreciated. I have loaded 3 images that I ave just taken with my tablet. Its the first 3 images on my Flickr page. All showing the trap and with the water catcher and without the top. Do you think a seal has gone here? https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightmuncher/

If that were the case wouldn't it affect the other traps ie the bath and the sink in the same room?

I have just been researching what a dergo valve is. Looking outside the house and up at the breather pipe, and its got a plastic cage to stop critters I guess going down the pipe. As for the septic tank, it doesn't have one either. It has a stopper which inserts into the pipe and its filled with gravel for ballast (I am guessing that it's for ballast).

I have just been researching what a dergo valve is. Looking outside the house and up at the breather pipe, and its got a plastic cage to stop critters I guess going down the pipe. As for the septic tank, it doesn't have one either. It has a stopper which inserts into the pipe and its filled with gravel for ballast (I am guessing that it's for ballast).

Durgo valve is an air admittance valve the won't let gases out of the sewer vent, but will let air in when a suction occurs when toilets are flushed etc. Without it the traps in toilet pans and on baths, showers and basins could suck dry.
An open vent with bird cage on it is perfectly fine for outside vents if on correct place.
A Durgo valve has the advantage that it can be fitted indoors. Also means an outdoor stack can be short and neat

Durgo valve is an air admittance valve the won't let gases out of the sewer vent, but will let air in when a suction occurs when toilets are flushed etc. Without it the traps in toilet pans and on baths, showers and basins could suck dry.
An open vent with bird cage on it is perfectly fine for outside vents if on correct place.
A Durgo valve has the advantage that it can be fitted indoors. Also means an outdoor stack can be short and neat

Thank you for the explanation. We are phoning a local plumbers today. We are grateful for your help. Thank you

As I have said above. I would like to thank you for your help. We are phoning a plumber to see if he has any idea, if not then we shall phone the people who deal with septic tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hi to you all. Have a problem I hope you can assist please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
I've got an issue with the shower tray not being totally flat. As you can see from the photos, it is about 7mm out at one side. It's leaning towards the waste end though. The shower tray is pushed underneath the tiles. My mate did the tiling and I now realise that we should have put the shower...
Replies
Views
D
I have a hot water slab leak which is found behind my bathroom vanity. We heard the noise for a week but never saw any water. Just today we saw water starting to come up under the vanity. I found the leak, my question is is it ok to run the hot water just long enough to take a shower? Does it...
Replies
Views
drpepper68
D
Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that heats on controlled load over night. The large tank is in roof space of 60s built villa unit. Every few mornings, no hot water will come out of...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock