Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please!

i guess you get a piece that hasn't been cut along it's length and as long as you have seperate taps and not a mixer, you can connect the cold and hot together and use your third hand to turn the taps on forcing the cold mains up the hot forcing out any air locks.

i guess you get a piece that hasn't been cut along it's length and as long as you have seperate taps and not a mixer, you can connect the cold and hot together and use your third hand to turn the taps on forcing the cold mains up the hot forcing out any air locks.

Third hand...yes that and a trick foot are perhaps the biggest help in this game :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I normaly use a washing machine hose to get shot of airlocks, either end coupled up to the hot and cold on the valves and a quick blast through. A lad i used to graft with had a small tube with two rubber fittings that wraped round the outlet of taps.... like those naff shower hoses you could buy that hooks to a hot and cold tap on your bath except this didnt have the outlet for the shower. ive never seen any of them about though, was a very handy method, they just pushed on and pulled off once the airlock was sorted.

Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing.

When there's no drain offs I keep 1 of them self cutting taps handy that come with the DIY outside tap kits, strap it to abit of 15mm and away you go! Then while the system is drained just cut a tee in with a drain off where the hole is from the self cutting tap.

When there's no drain offs I keep 1 of them self cutting taps handy that come with the DIY outside tap kits, strap it to abit of 15mm and away you go! Then while the system is drained just cut a tee in with a drain off where the hole is from the self cutting tap.

We've had that one a couple of times now. :)

Thought so, didn't fancy going through 28 pages to check though lol :).

Just didn't have time to go through the whole thread ;). Never mind eh

Last edited by a moderator:

That's a shame because there's a tip in there somewhere that will save you hours and make you a fortune.

Like keep out the bookies and there is no such thing as a certainty :wink:

Don't eat yellow snow!
5p and washer in a nut makes a 15 cap end

Wot eating yellow snow lol

why what happened lol

Might have been mentioned before but different makes have slightly different size of 22mm overflow pipe. If you find your pipe won't go into a fitting, warm it up slightly with your torch and push it in. Likewise if you find it a bit slack for the fitting, warm it up and stretch it over a 22mm bending spring.

Here's one, Been doing it for years.
Stupid sized chrome waste pipe, wrap insulation tape around the end until you build. It upto 1"1/4 and then you can solvent weld it. Saves messing about with mcalpine fittings in walls etc.

every one plumber should have a land rover to be able to go out when all others can not

i know it has been said before but just found out my self ,so

Here's one, Been doing it for years.
Stupid sized chrome waste pipe, wrap insulation tape around the end until you build. It upto 1"1/4 and then you can solvent weld it. Saves messing about with mcalpine fittings in walls etc.

This is a new one to me.....so what you're saying is the insulation tape will melt with the solvent glue and you get a decent watertight joint with it? How on earth this you discover this? Does it really work, I take it you've had no problems with it?

This may come in handy, and I'm gonna have to try it myself.

Always ptfe your olives.

Not necessary. There's been loads of discussions about it on here, have a search.

Always ptfe your olives.

Better to paste the olives every time IMO. Fine sealant & no leaks, even very slight microscopic weeps. Some say you shouldn't, some say you should....

dont use boss white etc when installing an Ultracom cxi.... it jams the pump very easily

This is a new one to me.....so what you're saying is the insulation tape will melt with the solvent glue and you get a decent watertight joint with it? How on earth this you discover this? Does it really work, I take it you've had no problems with it?

This may come in handy, and I'm gonna have to try it myself.
Hats exactly how it works, Done hundreds, never had a problem, not once, ever.

Last edited:

always flip up the float valve when filling up CWST or F&E , just to make sure that it does not get stuck in open position and also always check that OVER FLOW pipe !!!!

have removed few tanks with loose overflow pipes

If you have an old tape measure with the print rubbed off, keep it to use as a prop for levelling pipes to be soldered. Infinitely variable. (Don't use a new one as you will likely burn the numbers off!) (Then I suppose you have created the perfect tool for the job.)

And another thing. My old man who was a vehicle fitter for YEB some many moons ago taught me to always turn a nut or screw the opposite way when refitting it. When it clicks into the thread you are less likely to cross thread it this way. See thread re:- leak under cistern

life-hacks-how-to-make-your-life-easier-14.jpg

*basin

Last edited:

Tried Subby's tip about making 10mm/8mm reducer today (Tip no. 496). Fantastic! Cheers.

Tried Subby's tip about making 10mm/8mm reducer today (Tip no. 496). Fantastic! Cheers.

Used yours on turning the nut anticlockwise first to find the thread today to screw a trap on an old waste so cheers back!

dont do this on gas, not an approved fitting or method
I hear you. No. this was to extend microbore pipework to accomodate altered rad position. Cust dont wanna pay to upgrade to 15mm. Incidentally, put my Bosch multitool through it's paces on some new laid, very tight t&g flooring. So sweet! Couldn't help thinking that job would have been so much easier had they called me before they laid the floor' though.

Machine mart do a small grinding wheel that fits in your cordless drill, about 2" or so Dia. works a treat on chrome pipe.

If your in a merchants where you dont know the lads in there never take the first price on parts. they usually drop at least 20%.

Last edited by a moderator:

Always tell the customer not to use the loo before you start removing the stack!

Got a push button syphon where someone has cut the actuating rods short? A stainless steel self tapper in the bottom of the rod makes an adjustable extension to the rod.

If your in a merchants where you dont know the lads in there , get on their right side by taking in some donuts.

There you go longboat - I fixed your post for you. Don't mention it, 'twas my pleasure.

If you're a merchant and don't know the customer offer them freebies and coffee that doesn't taste like gnats wee!

Nothing like removing a section when a richard rushes past your ear.

haha i did this once thinking the teeth would bite in and had never known any different! i was very wrong. compression fittings or de-chromed and soldered afterwards! apparently there is a tool that cuts a lip down to the copper for tectite fittings and or speedfit etc. I have never seen or used one so does anyone know of this tool? after my little mishap i didn't dare try again although i have been told it is possible but with a certain tool?!?!?!?

Got a push button syphon where someone has cut the actuating rods short? A stainless steel self tapper in the bottom of the rod makes an adjustable extension to the rod.
brilliant idea i'm gonna use that one if i ever come across this prob again which im sure i will lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

L
Looking for tips on being faster at work. I am working on new builds and pressure is being put on me to speed up production. I am working at a...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Have you ever / would you ever; Work for a Plumbing Supplier / Electrical Wholesaler - POLLTIME! PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH FRIENDS VIA FACEBOOK...
Replies
Views
How has 2022 been so far? How's the economy affecting you? Any tips? This email has been sent to all members of the forum. I thought we could...
Replies
Views
Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know. Our kitchen mixer tap has...
Replies
Views
H
  • Article
Lecturers in Plumbing within Construction 36 hours, 52 weeks per year , part time hours will also be considered £32,732- £39,096 per annum...
Replies
Views
Back