Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water booster for my unvented cylinder doesnt seem to work after about 5 pm? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JohnSey

Hi, I have an OSO direct 20 RD Unvented water heater, with 2 elements; the bottom one heats overnight using economy 7, and the top is a booster to be manually switched on when a bit of extra hot water is needed.

The problem is that after about 5 PM the booster element does not come on when I flick the switch, however, before this time it does appear to work. Obviously, this is majorly frustrating as its usually in the evening when I may need a bit more hot water.

Any ideas on whats going on here?

Are you turning it on when the cylinder is already hot , obviously it wont 'need ' to come on .

Thank you joni os, thats a good point, it may have been wired like that in the past. I guess I'll have to get an electrician to take a look at some point, thanks for your advice!

Suspect boost is wired to restrict high tariff usage.

Must be a 'london thing ' that lol , boosts are always viewed as 'backup ' up here .
If Theres somthing wrong with off peak and the cylinder can always be heated via the boost / back up

Townfanjon, no, I was out of hot water the other evening and could really have done with a top up, but wouldnt come on....however, I had checked it was working OK previously in the day

Thanks john, sorry I had to ask. Is your boost on a switch or part of a programmer ?

Quick test by a sparkie should test if there is , or isnt a live. Depending if you are confident you could turn the switch off , remove the immersion heater cover and see if an overheat has operated , normaly a resetable button .
Failing that its a sparkie or one of us, the problem with sparkies are if the immersion heater has blown they wont take the job any further. Then you end up getting hold of a G3 regestered plumber / heating engineer .

OK townfanjon, thank you for your advice, I will look into getting someone to take a look soon, :D

Could be wrong but didn`t we do this before Christmas? g3, part P or something.

Thank you all for your replies, its stopped working this afternoon, so its not just after 5 pm, as I initially thought. Will get a pro G3 qualified to look at it for me. First time on this forum, so much obliged chaps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot water booster for my unvented cylinder doesnt seem to work after about 5 pm? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock