Discuss Hot water booster for my unvented cylinder doesnt seem to work after about 5 pm? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JohnSey

Hi, I have an OSO direct 20 RD Unvented water heater, with 2 elements; the bottom one heats overnight using economy 7, and the top is a booster to be manually switched on when a bit of extra hot water is needed.

The problem is that after about 5 PM the booster element does not come on when I flick the switch, however, before this time it does appear to work. Obviously, this is majorly frustrating as its usually in the evening when I may need a bit more hot water.

Any ideas on whats going on here?

Are you turning it on when the cylinder is already hot , obviously it wont 'need ' to come on .

Thank you joni os, thats a good point, it may have been wired like that in the past. I guess I'll have to get an electrician to take a look at some point, thanks for your advice!

Suspect boost is wired to restrict high tariff usage.

Must be a 'london thing ' that lol , boosts are always viewed as 'backup ' up here .
If Theres somthing wrong with off peak and the cylinder can always be heated via the boost / back up

Townfanjon, no, I was out of hot water the other evening and could really have done with a top up, but wouldnt come on....however, I had checked it was working OK previously in the day

Thanks john, sorry I had to ask. Is your boost on a switch or part of a programmer ?

Quick test by a sparkie should test if there is , or isnt a live. Depending if you are confident you could turn the switch off , remove the immersion heater cover and see if an overheat has operated , normaly a resetable button .
Failing that its a sparkie or one of us, the problem with sparkies are if the immersion heater has blown they wont take the job any further. Then you end up getting hold of a G3 regestered plumber / heating engineer .

OK townfanjon, thank you for your advice, I will look into getting someone to take a look soon, :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot water booster for my unvented cylinder doesnt seem to work after about 5 pm? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I have an OSO Direct 210 hit water cylinder installed in my home, with 2 switches (on/off; and boost). The boiler is for hot water only...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As the title says, I have a problem with an unvented cylinder I had installed last year where the first time I turn a hot tap on after the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, new to this forum and looking for a bit of advice please. Have been noticing recently some odd behaviour with our hot water system. If...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Hello, I have a few questions about my unvented hot water storage cylinder please: 1. How many kWh is each 3kWh element (day / night) supposed...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock