Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water help needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dc19910

Hi all! Just wanting some help with a hot water problem i have. I would normally just wait and call a plumber out but its Sunday and i really cant wait till tomorrow as i have the first day of my new job tomorrow and really need hot water for shower! Anyway back to the problem.
I have a vallant eco tec plus boiler and the hot water taps and shower is not letting any water out. Cold water is flowing from the taps but thats it. It was fine untill i used the gage under the boiler to raise up the pressure as it had dropped a little, does this often. I forgot which gage it was so i turned both. Then i put them both back so it says close. I have triple checked that i have defiantly closed them. Ever since then my hot water has stopped running. My heating is fine though no problem with that. Any suggestions or advice would be amazing please.

Many thanks.

Cold water from the hot taps or no water from the hot taps?

You may have shut the cold supply to the boiler
Post some pics

In pressurising boiler you may well have turned off cold water feed. Check this is open, slot inline with pipework. Other than that, boil kettle, shower from bucket, and call gas safe engineer tomorrow.
The cold water feed will be 15mm pipe. From memory, where it enters boiler the valve has square head with slot. Slot should point to boiler.

Last edited:
Thank you. I have took some pictures they are down as attachments.

Attachments

• 14784536382221262966920.jpg
    14784536382221262966920.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 20161106_172632.jpg
    20161106_172632.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20161106_172636.jpg
    20161106_172636.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 23
Second pipe from right is cold water feed. Ignore white plastic levers and look for isolation control where 15mm pipe connects to boiler.

Is this the bit that you mean or open the boiler up and look?

Attachments

• 14784553624111837955649.jpg
    14784553624111837955649.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 35
dont open the boiler up and look and did you mess with them ?

also have you got hot water coming out the kitchen tap? / any taps flowing water through the hot side

Is this the bit that you mean or open the boiler up and look?

Do not open the boiler at all.

That's what he meant ... The white plastic buttons are to fill the system. Now they are closed which is ok.

You may turned your cold water supply off to the boiler just check what you have closed and opened.

No hot water through any taps. And only switched the 2 white taps on for 2 seconds then put them back on closed. Not messed with anything else.

No hot water through any taps. And only switched the 2 white taps on for 2 seconds then put them back on closed. Not messed with anything else.

when was the last time you had hot water and has anything been done from then till now that you know of ?

Do you have any water coming out of the hot taps site ?

when was the last time you had hot water and has anything been done from then till now that you know of ?

Hot water was on before i turned the 2 white switches under the boiler to get the pressure up as it was low. Then since i turned them no water through the hot taps at all.

As in picture next to white lever. With a hot tap open. Close and open brass quarter turn valve. Not plastic handle. It is possible debris lodged in valve, opening and closing with hot tap open will allow mains pressure to clear. Also check there are no lever valves on the incoming supply, prior to boiler that may have accidently been knocked closed.

with a hot tap open open the cold white lever do you get cold/ hot water through the tap/ boiler fire?

As in picture next to white lever. With a hot tap open. Close and open brass quarter turn valve. Not plastic handle. It is possible debris lodged in valve, opening and closing with hot tap open will allow mains pressure to clear. Also check there are no lever valves on the incoming supply, prior to boiler that may have accidently been knocked closed.

Just tried this had a tiny bit of water come out then stopped again. Only really fine drizzle for 5 seconds though.

with a hot tap open open the cold white lever do you get cold/ hot water through the tap/ boiler fire?

Really sorry but dont know which lever you mean i have the hot and cold black levers or the 2 white taps under the boiler with the word closed on.

Really sorry but dont know which lever you mean i have the hot and cold black levers or the 2 white taps under the boiler with the word closed on.

I guess shaun meant the plastic white leaver

the right on as you look at it shouldnt do anything but stranger things have happened

OK now need to check you have cold water feed to boiler. Safe way, without undoing pipes. Boiler pressure is high, needle at 12.00 next to red section. Reduce pressure by bleeding convenient rad until needle at 9.00. Then open up white lever valves and see if you can move needle to 10.00 if yes then water is reaching boiler and you're going to need plumber.

Sounds like you have one valve open and one shut (the plastic levers with closed on)
Undo the phillips screw on the valve head and remove the levers, then check if the brass spindles are actually moving turning
The levers could just be turning on the spindle and not turning them
Make sure the left hand one is off and try and turn the spindle on the right hand one (this is the one on the cold main in to the boiler)
You should here water movement if the valve is working ok

Sounds like you have one valve open and one shut (the plastic levers with closed on)
Undo the phillips screw on the valve head and remove the levers, then check if the brass spindles are actually moving turning
The levers could just be turning on the spindle and not turning them
Make sure the left hand one is off and try and turn the spindle on the right hand one (this is the one on the cold main in to the boiler)
You should here water movement if the valve is working ok

Just taken them off. And they are facing different ways. I am having trouble turning it to the correct direction though as the whote switches arent doing and neither is any of the screwdrivers i have slotted in there and turned. Any ideas?

Try opening the grey knob that you open to top up pressure (just the one on the right hand side). Open up a hot tap. Do you get any water coming out?

I had a vaillant boiler where if you shut that off it shut off the cold supply. Very strange!! Let me k is if that's works please.

Try opening the grey knob that you open to top up pressure (just the one on the right hand side). Open up a hot tap. Do you get any water coming out?

I had a vaillant boiler where if you shut that off it shut off the cold supply. Very strange!! Let me k is if that's works please.

it was jay but the head/plastic lever was stripped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot water help needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock