Discuss Hot water temperatures at the basin in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello

I recently had a new cylinder install. The temperature at the basin sinks is between 56-58C and is far too hot to use.

Is there a legal maximum that is applicable for domestic properties? What should the temperature be for basin sinks? Thanks.

Regs state max temp delivered to a bath should be 48c. From memory it only states bath, not bathroom. This is to reduce the risk of scalding, especially by children.

I assume it doesn’t specifically mention bathrooms/basins/sinks as the risk of scalding is lower as you would immediately remove your hand. With a bath, a child may jump straight in with out testing.

As Shaun mentioned, the water in the tank should be stored at 60c (legionnaires prevention). I’d put a mixing valve on the cylinder output.

Regs state max temp delivered to a bath should be 48c. From memory it only states bath, not bathroom. This is to reduce the risk of scalding, especially by children.

I assume it doesn’t specifically mention bathrooms/basins/sinks as the risk of scalding is lower as you would immediately remove your hand. With a bath, a child may jump straight in with out testing.

As Shaun mentioned, the water in the tank should be stored at 60c (legionnaires prevention). I’d put a mixing valve on the cylinder output.

distance to the outlet is an issue then also legionellas is a big issue

50 degrees to tap within 30 seconds is what I seem to remember. The regulations (Building regulations G3) for the 48 degrees max, iirc, only apply to new built properties and not replacement cylinders or baths. As stated, if you want lower temperatures at the basin/other outlets then a thermostatic mixing valve (TMV) will do the job. Bearing in mind, these should be checked annually, although not 100% if this applies to domestic properties.

As others have hinted above, there are two sets of rules for hot water from storage that conflict.

One is that the water should be stored above 60° and should reach the tap at 50°C within 30 seconds. The other is that water should reach a bath at x degrees, and I'm sure I read somewhere that there are recommendations for a washbasin also.

The issue here is that the regulations for maximum temperatures apply to new bathrooms, not to existing ones. Your plumber has fitted a new cylinder and presumably set the storage temperature to around 60°C, which is correct. He has also not fitted a blending valve on the cylinder outlet, and was right not to do so as the water running through the pipes needs to be hot enough to keep them hygienic.

If you want to upgrade your bathroom to current standards regarding maximum temperatures, the right way to do it would be to have thermostatic mixing valves fitted directly under the taps to temper the water while allowing the hot water in the pipes to be hot enough to prevent biofilms forming. Personally, my feeling is it's just something else to go wrong, but if you want the water blended down, I do understand.

As others have hinted above, there are two sets of rules for hot water from storage that conflict.

One is that the water should be stored above 60° and should reach the tap at 50°C within 30 seconds. The other is that water should reach a bath at x degrees, and I'm sure I read somewhere that there are recommendations for a washbasin also.

The issue here is that the regulations for maximum temperatures apply to new bathrooms, not to existing ones. Your plumber has fitted a new cylinder and presumably set the storage temperature to around 60°C, which is correct. He has also not fitted a blending valve on the cylinder outlet, and was right not to do so as the water running through the pipes needs to be hot enough to keep them hygienic.

If you want to upgrade your bathroom to current standards regarding maximum temperatures, the right way to do it would be to have thermostatic mixing valves fitted directly under the taps to temper the water while allowing the hot water in the pipes to be hot enough to prevent biofilms forming. Personally, my feeling is it's just something else to go wrong, but if you want the water blended down, I do understand.

Thanks for the replies. The TMV is the way to go. One on the cylinder should do the trick. If I have one installed it will invalid the warranty on the system as the installers would claim that I changed the system.

Given that I paid over £5K as far as I am concerned they should have installed one or at the very least discussed/asked if I wanted one installed. I have gone back to them so hopefully they will sort it out.

Thanks for the replies. The TMV is the way to go. One on the cylinder should do the trick. If I have one installed it will invalid the warranty on the system as the installers would claim that I changed the system.

Given that I paid over £5K as far as I am concerned they should have installed one or at the very least discussed/asked if I wanted one installed. I have gone back to them so hopefully they will sort it out.
You really need to have the shortest possible run from the TMV to the outlet. You should also be able to achieve 50 (55 in health care premises) degree C at the hot inlet to the TMV. within a minute of turning on the tap. That's the way I would want it to operate for safety.
Is this an unvented or open vented cylinder?

Reply to Hot water temperatures at the basin in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

hello all, happy new year! i hope i have posted this in the right section i have a shower bar mixer. the shower runs luke warm. a quick google...
Replies
Views
T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I had a wet room fitted just over a year ago using a local authority grant. Builder was employed by...
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Hello. My mixer shower (non-electric) recently started running luke warm. I know this can happen at this time of year over winter but I've been in...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment with a cold water tank. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock