Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal Elan 2 boiler problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eamdp03

Hi everybody

need a bit of help with a boiler (i think) problem.
Its an ideal elan 2, Whats happening is after its been running it wont turn back on again for about 2 hours ! the boiler thermostat is ok as are all the other bits like room stat. programmer, 3 way valve. The boiler does exactly the same thing when heating the water or central heating. I dont understand how they work but suspect its the gas valve in the boiler ?? how do these detect when to allow the gas to flow into the burner ? how do u test them ? any ideas anybody ?
thanks in anticipation

Mike

-sounds like thermal cutout protection. when was the last time it was serviced?.

hi mike, how have you proved the components you mention are okay?

Hi
dont know when boiler was last serviced, i have voltage to the gas valve when all external controls are activated. Is there a way to test the thermal cutout device ?
thanks
Mike

If theres power to the gas valve and it doesnt open [somtimes]then it sounds like its sticking, id change the gas valve.

yes, but i wont.

if i were a surgeon and i instructed you how to cut out your kidney to sell on ebay.
i think i would be liable jsut the same.

anybody else then ? I cross my heart and hope to die promise i will not sue should anybody die or get injured in the testing of this device ! lol

redsaw is totally correct, it dosn't sound like your competent in fault finding the problem, which one can only assume would mean your not gas safe registered and therefore should not be effecting any repairs, and more it sounds like you have done too much and have allready broken the law! be clever and call yourself an engineer in.

the forum is for helping people out be it installers or clients, sometimes the best advice is to call a proffesional in, othertimes we can help out a little more, nobody on here can advise anybody to break the law.

good luck with your problem.

If testing either the gas valve or thermal cutout require disconnecting gas pipes thats something i'm not gonna be doing however i am a qualified electrician so testing the electrical components is not a problem which is how i know the 3 way valve, programmer, room and boiler stat are all working correctly. Do u need to start disconnecting the gas to test the thermal cutout ?

cheers Mike

you are touching and testing gas safety components, need to be a rgi to do that.
to get to the thermal cut out you would probably have to remove combustion chamber cover, again cant be done without being a rgi.

To check the gas valve
When system is cold turn boiler on,turn on and off at the boiler thermostate,the boiler should light up and go off as you turn on and off,do it about twenty times,if the burner comes on and off when you turn boiler on and off every time ,gas valve likely to be ok
However it could be boiler thermostat contacts faulty,as electrician you can check this ,if no power out of thermostat thats the problem,more likely when boiler hot,if power out ,its the gas valve
If thats the case I am sure you will get a gas safe enginer to replace it......yeh

Hi All

just thought i would post to let you know now fixed ! It was the gas valve but just the motor, changed that and now works a treat. Thanks to those members that HELPED !

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal Elan 2 boiler problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock