Discuss Inadequate Circulator Pump? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Good bad or indifferent I just bought a Trident 25/80 180 pump. Cheap enough to test anyway. If I'm wrong then so be it can set on garage shelf! Will be a pain to drain system again to open up pump from 130 to 180 but space to do it.

Really grateful for the great advice on here keep it coming! And of course I will let you all know in any event what difference if any the new pump makes and if it then allows me to balance rads properly without losing circulation.

Just want to keep after it now and get the heating system fully up to snuff if I can.

Something very strange going on, assuming boiler flow temp set to 70C then when the burner cuts out with a return temp of 25C means that you are only circulating 6LPM (0.36M3/hr) which equates to the 38W pump output you mentioned previously.
A running time of 37.5% is a average output of 7.5kw with a 20kw boiler or 9.75kw with a 26kw.
Can/have you checked that the circ pump stays running when the burner cuts out.

Something very strange going on, assuming boiler flow temp set to 70C then when the burner cuts out with a return temp of 25C means that you are only circulating 6LPM (0.36M3/hr) which equates to the 38W pump output you mentioned previously.
A running time of 37.5% is a average output of 7.5kw with a 20kw boiler or 9.75kw with a 26kw.
Can/have you checked that the circ pump stays running when the burner cuts out.
Yes pump definitely stats powered up and all heating controls / valves are functioning correctly too

I will check water quality when I drain it again and if dirty at all then I'll get more cleaner and run again with new larger pump. But water now coming out of rad vents is practically clear.

I do flush it out every few years too. I recall first time I did it when I was about 18 the water was pitch black and some rads had to come off and be flushed out with hose. Again this was 15 - 20 years ago.

Upstairs has been running on its own tonight for a couple hours. 2 double rads hot and bathroom tall single hot.

On time = 1.5 mins. Off time= 4 mins 45 secs.

Return temp 43c

20211214_224334.jpg
20211214_224312.jpg

Again on the small upstairs zone I can get all rads warm. But when I balance first 2 correctly the rest fall off cold even with valves fully open.

It's on the larger downstairs circuit that the return temp never rises above 25c even after hours of running.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, am I right in thinking those figures may relate to

25mm inlet
80mm pump vane?

If so yes that would make sense as old units are 15mm inlet and 60mm vanes

Yes 25mm bore 8m head

Could you freeze one side and adjust the pipe/ pump valve sages draining down ?

Could you freeze one side and adjust the pipe/ pump valve sages draining down ?

Yes probably could freeze it except I don't have any of that equipment!

It's easy enough to drain down anyway I suppose. stopcock for header tank easily reachable at trap door. Pop hose on boiler and let it run. If I don't crack the bleed screws on the rads most of them tend to stay full anyway.

New pump dispatched today by 24hr service so should have it tomorrow and will tackle replacement Friday night probably need to pick up some 28mm olives too.

Upstairs has been running on its own tonight for a couple hours. 2 double rads hot and bathroom tall single hot.

On time = 1.5 mins. Off time= 4 mins 45 secs.

Return temp 43c

View attachment 67200
View attachment 67201

Again on the small upstairs zone I can get all rads warm. But when I balance first 2 correctly the rest fall off cold even with valves fully open.

It's on the larger downstairs circuit that the return temp never rises above 25c even after hours of running.
Is the boiler firing or not with that temp of 89.5C?.

Reply to Inadequate Circulator Pump? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock