Search the forum,

Discuss Is this gas restrictor elbow fitted correctly? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello
The gas restrictor elbow in the picture was fitted by a gas safe engineer. The gas fire is on the left and the supply is on the right. Has this been fitted correctly?
Thanks

Attachments

• gas restrictor elbow.jpg
    gas restrictor elbow.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 50
No

Many thanks for your replies. The elbow is new and was fitted a few weeks ago to the supply pipe which is old. The previous original elbow was fitted differently (the inner and outer screws pointed towards the gas supply pipe). However, for the new replacement elbow, the inner and outer screws point towards the gas fire. Should we ask the gas safe engineer to refit it and what reason should we give? Or is it OK to leave it as it is?

It is installed the wrong way round from a design & use point of view and will not shut the gas off as intended (in other words, it is fairly pointless).
That alone is enough reason to have it correctly installed. As it is it will probably isolate the fire but not without allowing a large amount of gas to escape whilst closing it down and replacing the top outer cap & washer in your case, to stop gas escaping. You would really need to turn the gas off (at the meter most likely) to be able to isolate the fire safely.

I suspect they put it in that way round because of its dimensions but they would have been better to alter the pipework. They could use a male iron to copper into the malleable elbow and copper to an angled gas isolation valve or an elbow and a straight valve.

Hope this helps!

It is installed the wrong way round from a design & use point of view and will not shut the gas off as intended (in other words, it is fairly pointless).
That alone is enough reason to have it correctly installed. As it is it will probably isolate the fire but not without allowing a large amount of gas to escape whilst closing it down and replacing the top outer cap & washer in your case, to stop gas escaping. You would really need to turn the gas off (at the meter most likely) to be able to isolate the fire safely.

I suspect they put it in that way round because of its dimensions but they would have been better to alter the pipework. They could use a male iron to copper into the malleable elbow and copper to an angled gas isolation valve or an elbow and a straight valve.

Hope this helps!
Thank you very much for your reply which is very helpful.

Reply to Is this gas restrictor elbow fitted correctly? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock