Discuss Joining to cast iron soil stack - best cutting technique? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Drain Dept.

How do others cut into cast iron soil stacks. I need to cut into one on Saturday to clear a blockage.
In plastic I usually use a 57mm hole saw then fit a blanked waste pipe strap when finished but my drill rips my arm off when it snags.
This one in cast iron needs to preserve visual quality so pref not to cut a section out and fit band seals.
Do I just need a better clutched drill and a good quality hole saw?
Any tips?

Thanks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Is there no access points or can you not get in from the top

No there are no rodding accesses or connections which can be used as one. Drain connects blind between 2 inspection chambers so no way to come upstream to it.
Cast iron looks like it may originally have been the vent to the system but has later been adapted by someone adding a saniflow connection at high level from attic. Terminal is above roof 3 floors so way to high to rod down. A cut into base just above ground level looks like first option to try.
Cheers

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I found this post while looking to answer the same question. I need to connect a new WC waste into an existing cast-iron pipe. Is it even possible or will I have to replace the whole cast-iron bit? What do you guys do?

you could use a timesaver fitting, they also do a strap on boss for cast iron.

fernco rubbers if its domestic in the back yard and customer doesnt care how it looks or cut in a timesaver rodding eye and two TS couplings if it has to look right
notb sure if its even called timesaver anymore last lot i bought was called ensign

So, basically, no drilling nice circular holes into the cast-iron pipe and branching out in UPVC. Got it :) Lucky HSS rents chain cutters for not too much money.

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Joining to cast iron soil stack - best cutting technique? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock