Discuss Just plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
would any of you say u can make a decent living just plumbing or do u need a gas qualification as well .eg.GAS SAFE cheers

Hmm!

I worked on a lot of boiler maintenance and repair for perhaps 10 years in Liverpool for big social and private landlords doing hundreds of houses a year and never saw wages approaching £500 a week let alone a day.

Lets not get carried away, service work is not usually a means to get rich. You may get one or two private clients who pay well but unless you can live on one or two jobs a year you have to make do with what you can get.

Lets not forget people usually buy mostly on price. You have to get the right mix of fair price and good work.

The state of the market at the moment is obviously bad with all the cut backs. I would say to those wanting to get into the trade at the moment, its extremely tough out there and would recommend you try another trade in another industry, unfortunately there aren't all that many you can get into without a degree it seems and even with a degree its tough, despite what the government says.

All I would say is to make yourself as multi skilled as possible and diversify into any related branch of Plumbing or construction work you can, to earn a crust. The thing not to do, is bite off more than you can chew in a desperate rush for cash. Accept low income and take it easy until opportunity presents itself to get a better income. Anyway I doubt many people will be given a choice about that they will just have to if that is all they can get.

I must admit though this "training" lark seems to have become a giant scam. And its not necessarily the training providers "ripping off" after all government regulations force people to have to get the qualifications.

It all needs looking at. It is affordable if the companies who make the most out of the industry paid into a training scheme. They could be made to do that by the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Just plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back