Search the forum,

Discuss Leak in ceiling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David66316

Hi everyone, just after a bit of advice as to whether I have done the right thing in this situation or not,

Customer phoned, wanted a pipe cutting back so it was under the floor boards instead of above where the airing cupboard used to be. I identified it as a heating pipe, so drained sytem down, cut pipe, soldered a few fittings and neatened it up under floorboards, but where I chopped on one of the sides had water in, not much but enoigh to soak my rag and go on the floor boards, so I used a compresiion fitting here. So left with satisfied customer untill today, customer phoned and said the ceiling has been stained from water upstairs where id been working. So I went back today, made sure my pipework was sound, and apologized and have now arranged a painter and decorator to repaint the ceiling.

So did I do the right thing by paying for this decorator to do this or should i have just left it and apologised, also whats the best way to avoid this happening again, should i use a wet vac? or just more rags, as it was under floorboards i couldnt use a bucket or tray it was too tight,

thanks in advance

Doesn't sound as though you let out enough water to cause the staining. Did you see the ceiling prior to you doing the work?

If you know the stain wasn't there before and you were the cause then you did the right thing in my opinion. Under floor boards i use to use all sorts of things. Best 'tool' I have is an inhibitor bottle with a square cut out of one side from centre to top. It means you can catch about 1/2 Ltr of water then turn the bottle upright without spilling any :) Failing that I've used bin liners under pipes to catch water and a friend of mine has one of these small collapsible buckets .. They're handy :)

hi, yeah I looked at the ceiling she had only just painted it a few weeks ago apparently but it was all, white and no stained before I did the job, there was probably about a litre or water i would think, would that be enough to do it?

I know it's a pain in the bum, but I always do a kind of risk assessment before doing work like this. Just a quick look round to see what could go wrong and always check the ceiling below for old stains.

I then make sure the customer understands the risks involved in what they want me to do. In your case it would obviously be a possible spillage which is difficult to control due to it being under the floorboards. Give the customer the two solutions
1) Water on ceiling.
2) More time spent lifting floorboards to improve access and more cost.

The customer then takes responsibility for your actions.

In the circumstances you did the right thing and I'm sure your customer will respect for it. A happy customer will give referrals.

I never thought of an old inhibitor bottle, I'm going to do that in future, So is it worth while me taking the wet vac on jobs with me, as I only have a small car at the moment until business picks up so there's not a lot of space.

Personally I've never used a wet vac, just lots of old towels that I cadge from friends and relations. The microfibre ones are also really good when space is a problem.

when the ceiling gets repainted it will need the stain sealing.
if it just gets painted over the stain it will probably show through again

maybe I should get this moved over to Dan's new decorating forum

Last edited:
i'm sure the decorator should know to use stain stop before painting

i always have a rubbish sack squidged underneath and appropriate push fits to hand to stop flow

Plenty of old towels and Chinese takeaway cartons. The plastic ones are very flimsy and give good bend to manoeuvre round pipes to get out,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leak in ceiling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
The left rear floor corner is highest (the shower pan touches/sits on the floor), sloping down diagonally to the front right corner (lowest). The front right corner shim is 5/8", the left front corner is 3/8" shimmed, with shorter shims under left middle and right rear corner. The pan perimeters...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock