Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Leaking pump isolation valve - help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

taz8520

The twist pin part on the gate valve on my mums central heating pump is dripping water :/, would this be a BG call out or can I replace the valve or something ?

php95sD6JAM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet they won't turn up till at least Tuesday though, can these valves be fixed or will a new on be needed ?

Shut of vale leaking on pump

Once these valves start leaking they don't usually stop.
I don't use the ball isolator a for this reason.
Sometimes turning the isolator round a few times can help :) or it can make it worse :(
You will need to change the valve really.

BG are gonna turn up tomorrow :O, looks like I will just leave a cup under it and let them sort it :D

Awful valves, as soon as you touch them they start to leak! Gate pump valves are a lot better.

Well hopefully they wont fit the same valves if they turn up tomorrow.

Also what is this bronze part ? a filter of some sort ? BG said latt time they visited they will remove it and but a magnabooster in.

IMAG0938_338x600.jpg

That is an air separation bottle. It doesn't do the same thing as a magna booster so hopefully BG won't remove it.

Ye that's an air separator, they do tend to block up over the years and cause problems then you'll have to cut it out.

Oh right, it was replace a few years ago as was blocked up, is it needed in a vented system? the BG man told my mum they no longer used them so would remoe it and put a mangabooster in at a cost of ÂŁ340 :O

Oh right, it was replace a few years ago as was blocked up, is it needed in a vented system? the BG man told my mum they no longer used them so would remoe it and put a mangabooster in at a cost of ÂŁ340 :O
Dick Turpin is alive and working for BG!

I'm sure it will be, will see if anyone trustworthy is local to look, I told her not to go ahead with it anyway, I need to drain the system down in a few week anyway so might just install a Magnaclear or TR1 myself.

BG went to my mums today, change the gate valves for some decent ones but said the water that came out was very bad and required a power flush, since the BG man left all down stairs rads are cold even feed pipes to them but hot upstairs, the downstairs were warm ish prior to the vales being changed, pump is running, could it be air need bleeding ?

She called them straight away can't get back till Tuesday, I will go have a look tomorrow though as thought could be air

It shouldn't be too difficult to solve.
I do in all honesty fail to see the purpose of sending an engineer out on a Sunday to do a trivial non-urgent job that could (and did) lead to complications.

I was surprised to hear they turned up on a Sunday glad they did though but surely they should have made sure the heating worked after :/ anyways worst case tomorrow I will pull a few liters though each rad.

Shut of vale leaking on pump

Do not fall for the BG powerflush scam.

Make sure they opened the valves and turned the pump back on.

I'm going to have to change the thread title cos it's annoying me.......

No I wont fall for that scam, I have found for nearly quarter the price with a free magnaclean :), as for the pump it is on not got to check the valves yer but will do thanks :)

Please change the title @croppie :) I would change it if I was able to now I know the non amature wordings for the valves lol

Shut off valve leaking on pump

No I wont fall for that scam, I have found for nearly quarter the price with a free magnaclean :), as for the pump it is on not got to check the valves yer but will do thanks :)

Please change the title @croppie :) I would change it if I was able to now I know the non amature wordings for the valves lol

Anyone Powerflushing for ÂŁ250-ÂŁ300 including a Magnaclean isn't doing it right.

Re: Shut off valve leaking on pump

Anyone Powerflushing for ÂŁ250-ÂŁ300 including a Magnaclean isn't doing it right.
Unfortunately price is not a sign of quality. Have to rescue a customer from a firm powerflushing the system supposedly.

The machine only got coupled up to one radiator and they flushed all the sludge/magnetite into the heatexchanger of the boiler where now the sensors are not getting streamed at properly anymore. And caused the pump to finally overheat and break due to insufficient circulation over months.

Leaving the customer with one working radiator, a hopelessly sludged up system, a broken pump and a nonworking boiler for just a fraction below the BG price. Anything else one could possibly do to make it worse?

Add on: Forgot to mention that apart from the one radiator as well a clean path from the header tank to the drain cock exists. And that they never cleaned the header tank leaving nearly 1" of mainly iron oxides floating around in it ready to enter the system.

I think for that price, they'll be doing a magnacleanse as opposed to a powerflush. But you're correct of course.

Just got to my mums she said the downstairs rads got warm after a few hrs yesterday after switching on, guessing just took that time to fill system back up form F&E tank ?
Just read the quote she got from BG says remove the air separator, install a magnabooster and replace the pump under contract for ÂŁ340, guessing that not to bad price :/

Why remove the air sep. though?
How they gonna fill the system?

To remove air sep and pipe in a h frame, fit magnabooster and fit pump I'd say that price was a bargain! But no mention of a flush being done.

Yer quite good, the pump says it fitted under the contract though so that's not really included in the ÂŁ340, as for flush they keep saying it but at additional cost

Sounds about ÂŁ100 overpriced to me get the flush done and the other work can be done when capping off F&E and while system drained :)

The only thing with that quote amount it's spread over a few months so will help my mum out.

Well BG went to my mum's today, installed magnabooster and put some inhibitor in the system that it, they didn't remove the air separator or replace the pump, I knew I should have got a mangacleaner and installed it myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking pump isolation valve - help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock