Discuss Leaking stopcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Louisbean

2c8ffb84a8f961b567fff54d70328879.jpgHi all

My stopcock is leaking from the gland nut. I think I can fix this but it looks a bit crusted up and wondered if this will likely need replacing, or can this be cleaned up?

The forum won't let me post an image but you can paste this into a browser to see it I think?

HTTPS://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/30/2c8ffb84a8f961b567fff54d70328879.jpg

Thanks!

Louis

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant see any water but you can try tightening the gland 9 times out of 10 its enough to stop the leak. Just be gentle with it.

As MSM says, the gland can be tightened as it doesn't actually look too bad. If it still weeps, turn off the stopcock, undo the gland and scrape any crud off, wrap 3 or 4 turns of white PTFE tape not too tight around the spindle and re-tighten the gland and open the stopcock.

Remember to turn the stopcock back half a turn closed after it's fully opened. It'll help it from sticking too bad in future.

Last edited:
Brilliant, thanks guys. Should I turn off the main water supply first? I'm guessing it's probably not necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking stopcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, as you can see pictured I have a stopcock without a packing gland. Over the past few days my cistern inlet was suffering from an airlock and...
Replies
Views
I have an underground stopcock that is leaking a lot through the gland. I have dug down three foot to access the stopcock as I also want to move...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I've joined the forum today as I've found myself going round in circles with what I think might be a pretty simple problem, hoping...
Replies
Views
Not exactly a plumbing problem but here goes. I have known for a couple of years there was a water leak somewhere between the water meter, on our...
Replies
Views
L
Got a leaky stopcock/valve/tap as I'm sure many do at this time of year in the northern hemisphere (UK based). Watched a few videos on this common...
Replies
Views
Back