Search the forum,

Discuss Leaky bath waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon chaps.

Righto, had quite a few leaks from my bath as of late, fixed most of them and then traced another puddle to the waste.

I've had a good go, but know these can be troublesome from some searching.

What I've done is stripped it all apart, cleaned it, re seated the chrome drain grid on a bed of silicone - didn't look like it had anything on it before. Then the actual waste fitting underneath, I dressed the rubber seal with some Jet Blue ptfe paste (I love that stuff) and put it all back together.

Will let the silicone go off before testing, but can you chaps offer any tips on leaky wastes and traps? I've not had much to to with baths and sinks really! I'm just the guy who throws pipe and solder around!

Thanks.

Last edited:
I rarely find the need to use silicone and other gunk on bath and waste fittings, making sure all parts such as the washers etc are clean from grit and the like are all that's needed. Those horrible fibre glass baths which are rough as dogs behinds underneath may need silicone but generally you don't need it.

Are you over tightening?

I rarely find the need to use silicone and other gunk on bath and waste fittings, making sure all parts such as the washers etc are clean from grit and the like are all that's needed. Those horrible fibre glass baths which are rough as dogs behinds underneath may need silicone but generally you don't need it.

Are you over tightening?

Since re assembly, haven't tested it yet. I've only just discovered it, it wasn't one I installed. It's a metal bath, might give it a run in a moment.

you dont need to let the silicone dry when doing wastes, if still leaking i would be looking for a split or crack in it

hawk i have only fitted a few bath wastes but in my experience there its usually a thin white washer that goes under the chrome waste plate.

Get the towels ready! :boat:

If it's an old one leaking then it's off and on with a new one. Bit of silicone and away you go. Works out cheaper for the customer rather than stripping ou the old cleaning it all up and putting it back together.

If it's an old one leaking then it's off and on with a new one. Bit of silicone and away you go. Works out cheaper for the customer rather than stripping ou the old cleaning it all up and putting it back together.

Yeah I think if I get much more grief I'll go and buy a new trap and waste.

*Passes popcorn around*

I usually do away with the washer on the top side of the waste and bullock loads of silicone on there as they are a PITA to change if the washer lets by (as you have found out. You have to be careful what you use jet blue on as it can corrode plastics, some plumbers like to use plumbers mait in place of silicone, but i don't get on with the stuff personally.

Right, gave it a go, appears ok from the wate, but the push fit trap which was previously full of silicone weeped a bit, so shoved loads of Jet Blue in just for now which seems to be holding it. What I'll do is get a new trap and waste and swap them over as a matter of course.

Having installed acrylic baths of the 1980s and 1990s with the 'banjo' type plastic waste fitting, I soon learned that stains of the cieling cost money and eat profit. Best thing for a banjo type waste is the bin.

Hence, I have always fitted the best quality pop-up waste the customer can afford. These used to be branded as 'bette' wastes from the trusted German manufacturer, but bristan do one now which is the same. However, do not be fooled by things that look the same in pictures but are not.

See the diagram here [DLMURL]http://www.bristan.com/WebRoot/BristanDB/Shops/Bristan/Products/INSTRUC.%20PDF-1029039-D1.PDF[/DLMURL]

and note that item 7 is flange washer that fits both above and below the bath waste outlet. The washer has dual purpose and needs no silicone or sealant, and neither does the overflow.

Another advantage of this type of pop-up (usually betwen ÂŁ20-ÂŁ40) is that it can make a ÂŁ100 pressed steel bath look like a million dollars. They are neat, tidy and you won't have leaks on these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaky bath waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Afternoon, our bath waste pipe in our rented property has started leaking slightly when we shower. We've narrowed it down to a loose screw in the centre of the plughole. My understanding is that this screw being loose means that water is able to leak out between the bath waste and the waste...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm currently in the middle of first fixing the waste pipe for my freestanding bath. I've created a mock version out of plastic to determine where the waste enters down through the floor - see photo. I was just wondering is there any minimum length the pipe has to run after the trap...
Replies
Views
Hi, a friend was complaining about water dripping through her kitchen ceiling. Turns out that the bath waste pipe is leaking. I've not seen copper pipe used as a bath waste before. I have smeared some silicon around the join but I need to fix this. I think best to hacksaw the old tee section...
Replies
Views
I am replumbing my lakeside hunting cabin (totally off grid, water from a well or the lake, solar power through a battery bank and now a large generator, place is wired throughout for12v and always has been. Now, with the addition of a generator and a scrounged hot water cylinderwith an...
Replies
Views
This maybe isn't so much about asking for advice as giving it 🤔 I had a leaking HW cylinder (23 years old) that I got fed up patching up with plumbers gold 🤣 - so decided to replace it and do some remodelling of the plumbing in the airing cupboard while it was all pulled out. before, during, &...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock