Discuss Leaky bath waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon chaps.

Righto, had quite a few leaks from my bath as of late, fixed most of them and then traced another puddle to the waste.

I've had a good go, but know these can be troublesome from some searching.

What I've done is stripped it all apart, cleaned it, re seated the chrome drain grid on a bed of silicone - didn't look like it had anything on it before. Then the actual waste fitting underneath, I dressed the rubber seal with some Jet Blue ptfe paste (I love that stuff) and put it all back together.

Will let the silicone go off before testing, but can you chaps offer any tips on leaky wastes and traps? I've not had much to to with baths and sinks really! I'm just the guy who throws pipe and solder around!

Thanks.

Last edited:
I rarely find the need to use silicone and other gunk on bath and waste fittings, making sure all parts such as the washers etc are clean from grit and the like are all that's needed. Those horrible fibre glass baths which are rough as dogs behinds underneath may need silicone but generally you don't need it.

Are you over tightening?

I rarely find the need to use silicone and other gunk on bath and waste fittings, making sure all parts such as the washers etc are clean from grit and the like are all that's needed. Those horrible fibre glass baths which are rough as dogs behinds underneath may need silicone but generally you don't need it.

Are you over tightening?

Since re assembly, haven't tested it yet. I've only just discovered it, it wasn't one I installed. It's a metal bath, might give it a run in a moment.

you dont need to let the silicone dry when doing wastes, if still leaking i would be looking for a split or crack in it

hawk i have only fitted a few bath wastes but in my experience there its usually a thin white washer that goes under the chrome waste plate.

Get the towels ready! :boat:

If it's an old one leaking then it's off and on with a new one. Bit of silicone and away you go. Works out cheaper for the customer rather than stripping ou the old cleaning it all up and putting it back together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaky bath waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock