Search the forum,

Discuss MagnaClean position for access in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Good evening,

I have a question regarding the positioning (physical) of the Mag Filter in my recently installed Combi system. - Long story short, Iheat sent out some installers to fit a new combi. Upon servicing, a few 'issues; were highlighted on the service engineers' report. The boiler being on a flying lead, rather than a spur, and the filter not being in a serviceable position ( the lid wont unscrew, as the filter is tight up against the ceiling ) Having reported these remarks to I Heat they emailed the pictured reply below.

-Is this position correct with BS7593? Is there a stated instruction for the physical position?
-Is Iheat fobbing me off?

Thanks in advance

Adam
Screenshot_20220822-181542_WhatsApp.jpg

IMG-20220822-WA0009.jpg

The boiler on a plug top is fine and acceptable

Filter on the return back to the boiler ?

And could do with dropping 2”-3” so you can access the bleed / vent screw on the top of the filter aslong as you have 2”-3” below the filter than you can insert a tray eg to catch the water once the bleed screw is opened then you can remove the whole filter to clean then re bleed via the bleed screw ontop else you will always hear sloshing about from it

Also the flue connection isn’t screwed / fitted correctly

I’m sorry but they pay there engineers peanuts eg sub £300 to install the boiler so it’s rushed

The boiler on a plug top is fine and acceptable

Filter on the return back to the boiler ?

And could do with dropping 2”-3” so you can access the bleed / vent screw on the top of the filter aslong as you have 2”-3” below the filter than you can insert a tray eg to catch the water once the bleed screw is opened then you can remove the whole filter to clean then re bleed via the bleed screw ontop else you will always hear sloshing about from it

Also the flue connection isn’t screwed / fitted correctly
Hi, Thanks for the reply.

The filter currently can't be accessed at all, via the filter housing top as it's installed so close to the ceiling. The only way to get access would be to remove the filter from the return line at the unions. Our servicing company have noted on the report, that its 'unservicable' as a partial drain down would be required, and that's not in the service remit? They've stated IHeat should of positioned it in a more serviceable position. I just wanted to know, if the filter in this position is correct with the British Standards. should Iheat re-position it? or is the Service engineer making a mound out of a mole hill?

cheers

Adam

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220822-181542_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20220822-181542_WhatsApp.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 12
Needs dropping 2”-3” eg the whole filter needs lowering see above post

There aren't any valves on the inlet or outlet sides of the filter, so to clean the filter you would have to drain the system.

Much easier to clean the filter if you can isolate it with valves........
And being able to remove the magnet from the top.

No excuses on how much contractor is paid - crap filter location and installation.

There aren't any valves on the inlet or outlet sides of the filter, so to clean the filter you would have to drain the system.

Much easier to clean the filter if you can isolate it with valves........
And being able to remove the magnet from the top.

No excuses on how much contractor is paid - crap filter location and installation.

There’s valves on the inlet and outlet of the filter mate

There’s valves on the inlet and outlet of the filter mate
This fooled me when I first saw the pic.
It happens to be taken from an angle that conceales the valves that are behind the filter.

I don't understand why any draining down would be needed? Just close the valves, unscrew the unions and take off the whole filter as you said Shaun.

I can't imagine there is anything in the standards specifically veto'ing fitting in this bizarre position, but the installer should be following the manufacturers instructions (MI's), so it would be worth looking to see if that's been followed. If they've not installed it to MI's, you probably have a case to get them to change it.

Last edited:
Full of water

So there are isolation valves against the wall, behind the filter.
You would have to isolate the valves, drain the pressure off from the bottom bung, dismantle the filter from the push fit connections, by pushing in the locking bands, to remove the filter to clean it.

I doubt that Magnaclean would have that as their intended solution to clean the filter.

I would assume that Magnaclean would have a specified height of clearance above the filter to access for cleaning.

Each to their own?

It’s obviously a sub optimal installation but just about workable. The sort where if called upon to do some work - if you’re in the right mood you point out to the customer the inadequacy of the installation but manfully carry on despite this.
Or if it’s late and you’ve had a bad day you say it’s all wrong and go home never to return.

Reply to MagnaClean position for access in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock