Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Master Soldering help needed for a clean solder in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Electronurd

Electronurd Member

i would love joins like this guy and would love to see his video but it won't load...:32:

2. Electronurd

Electronurd Member

Finally see the guys video. He seems to use tons of flux and just barely touches with the solder wire. I think that's where I'm kinda going wrong as I'm leaving the solder wire on till I see it coming out.

3. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Anyone used copper push-fit?

Just asking!

4. 1Steven

1Steven Plumber GSR

Practice and have patience.

5. zzzjim

zzzjim Well-Known Member

Not "THAT product again" ,

if you need an electrical connection ( Earthing for safety )

maybe a glue is not relevant !

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  6. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

The lamp you are trying to emulate isn't soldered, that's how you don't see any snots (runs of solder), at a guess I'd say it's glued.
    nosolder.jpg

7. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

The lamp you are trying to emulate isn't soldered, that's how you don't see any snots (runs of solder), at a guess I'd say it's glued.
    View attachment 29131

8. Electronurd

Electronurd Member

Well that's what I thought and so I sent the seller a message to ask before any potential purchase and they did confirm that all joins were soldered.

9. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

Once it's at the right temperature you only need to touch it and you'll see it flow.
    The reason I said use flux sparingly was because you do not want to allow solder to run on the pipe outside the fitting. If I were doing your task I would flux inside the fitting with a flux brush and put just enough on the pipe to cover the length of the full socket.

If poss, try to solder with gravity on your side !

• Like Like x 1
  10. Electronurd

Electronurd Member

Excellent tips. I'm going to try again today but practice on some crappy bits first. I'll post any pics I have if they turn out ok.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

Yes do that, I'd like to see the finished product !

I realise you want to solder this to perfection but just in case you do have a bit on show, Emery ribbon ( fine grit), will remove solder easily and polish the copper nicely too.

That might make it even easier for you !

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  12. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

I mean the stuff you use in engineering, do you know which I mean ?
    It comes on a roll

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  13. Electronurd

Electronurd Member

14. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

That will probably do but the stuff I meant is finer ( not like sand paper ).

15. Electronurd

Electronurd Member

Ah do you think you be could post a link to it? I'm going to screwfix today so would be great to pick it up whilst I'm there.