Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Megaflo Tundish in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steveo0189

Hi. been called to a job with a leaking tundish, never touch these things and wondered how to go about changing it. Looks like 2 22ml comp fittings either end of the tundish, is it just a case of undoing both ends and fitting new Tundish or is there a procedure with shutting of valves etc. would app a response as the leak is enough to fill a cup or two a day. Ta chaps:)

you need to be qualified to work on unvented,you need to be able to see if its installed properly,a tundish is a two min job to replace

Thanks matey, just checking to make sure, didnt want to flood the place!!

if it passing hot water through tundish its likley the ex bubble will need replenishing.
if its passing cold could need a new pressure relief valve or be a problem with the combination set.
basic service as per MI may be due!
hope this helps
paul.
you may even get away with resealing tundish if its not damaged.

as allready said must be qualified to work on these unvented units!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, i realise the implications of the qualifications etc, would'nt touch these as a rule, i am a heating engineer but not with the unvented side of things.....looked a simple swap but as mentioned not 100% on isolating valves etc. Ta

Hi. been called to a job with a leaking tundish, never touch these things and wondered how to go about changing it. Looks like 2 22ml comp fittings either end of the tundish, is it just a case of undoing both ends and fitting new Tundish or is there a procedure with shutting of valves etc. would app a response as the leak is enough to fill a cup or two a day. Ta chaps:)

The tundish is not leaking,the tundish is just there to give a visual sign of any leakage from safety valves leaking

as said cylinder may require re priming,instruction should be on the side of cylinder
if any thing else would advise passing on to a more qualified person

If you mean the tundish is overflowing, the pipe past the tundish is probably blocked with debris. You need to clean it out through to where it discharges outside. Use a length of wire.

If the tundish is leaking because it has split at the bottom due to misalignment of the pipework, you need to fix the original problem or it will happen again.

Otherwise as the previous poster says, if it is just that you can see water passing through the tundish, then there is nothing wrong with it, rather there is a problem further upstream, in which case you shouldn't touch this unless you are qualified.

Do you have to be qualified to fit say a 10L undersink water heater (unvented)? Some posts state anything under 15L in size you don't need to be qualified others state over 15L you have to be certified. Different plumbers are stating different quotes, im left confused.
Any reliable posts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys.

changing a tundish is hardly messing on with the tanks/boilers sefety as long as all he is doing it changing a tundish i dont see a problem

How can a tundish be leaking? It should be dry if there is water anywhere near it that needs fixing. If it is not passing the water it may need attention in addition to the problem you must fix the cause of the water flow first, then worry about the tundish G3 ticket is required.

I was asking if your fitting the new undersink system if you have to be certified when fitting a 10lL undersink (unvented)? Not just changing a tundish. Thanks

nick99 - Can you identify the components of something unvented? Know how they are supose to be installed? And know when they've been installed incorrectly? If something went wrong and a person was hurt, regardless of fault, would you be able to prove compitence?

If you can answer yes to all, and probably more, of the above then go ahead. Otherwise G3 or not I'd leave well alone!

We had this one before. G3 is for above 15 litres. 15 and under you don't need G3 but you do need to follow the instructions around pressure relief, check valve, expansion and first draw off points.

Since 2010 G3 is for all hot water storage - vented & unvented.

I stand corrected, section 3.19 of document G3 " Water heaters with a capacity of 15 litres or less that have appropriate safety devices for temperature and pressure will generally satisfy the requirements set out in G3(3)."

Good call Blod.

Bloomin red tape ...

:mad:

It's not so much the red tap as the ambiguity of the statement in the G3 regs they have a set of regs upto 500 litres but then make special mention of under 15 litres. So why don't the 15 litre and under come under the upto 500 litres.

they couldn't be bothered to rewrite all of the regulations and just changed the parts that had changed.

15 litres burting isnt going to bring a house down
It might not bring the house down, but if installed incorrectly it still has the potential to become a pressure cooker and burn your skin off if it was breached suddenly.
At 3bar pressure the boiling point is approx. 150°C. If that is suddenly vented to atmosphere it will instantly turn to steam.

if water is even getting to the tundish it means you got problems. not might be a big one but an issue that should be looked at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Megaflo Tundish in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good evening chaps Having issues with this new valve. It is serving four body jets, all tiled now (waiting for the 14 day grout cure before full...
Replies
Views
S
I have a megaflo hot water tank fitted with red expansion tank with gauge and relief valve fitted on top ... My problem is water is continually...
Replies
Views
lame plumber
L
S
Excessive pressure drop in Megaflo UV Mark 1 2002 My first posting on this website and I apologise for it being a long one: A domestic hot water...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
A
Evening all. I'm a regular user of the tiling forum but have popped over here to see if someone can help me work out what the problem is with my...
Replies
Views
Hi I hope one of you can help. A friend asked me to change a broken washbasin, which appears to be a straightforward job however three things I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock