Search the forum,

Discuss Meter Test Nipple in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amy

Hi Guys,
Just had a friend ring me with a broken test nipple in the meter,ie, the screw has snapped and can't remove the broken threaded part of the screw.
He tried all local suppliers and was looking to buy the whole unit,ie the part that the screw fits into and replace both components. He could only find 1/8th inch and this is too large.
I thought I had a spare but that turned out to be a 1/8th inch test nipple .
I suppose my question is what size are we looking for and can you get these test nipples for meters,if so where from.
Or, do we have to ring transco to let them fix.
Like I said I had a test nipple in my kit (ordered nipple from BES a while ago ) to cater for this eventuality and am pleased this size issue has been brought to my attention.
Friend just rang me up to say he managed to drill the broken part of screw out with a 3mm drill bit, so thats one way to fix but still interested if we can get spares.
Thx, amy.

Hi Guys,

I will update my own thread here.
My friend has just informed me of the outcome about the test nipple.
He managed to drill out the old screw and replace but had the slightest of bubbles appearing on LDF test, couple rounds of gas tape sorted this out.
We havn't come across test nipples with gas tape on, has anyone else?.
He had earlier rang transco and they attended and informed him that they usually replace the meter in these circumstances.
The test nipple is not available from stockists but the screw is.
There is a new meter coming out that will be an all in one unit so this kind of problem will not occur in years to come.

amy.

Last edited by a moderator:
this commonly happens to the beige coloured meter i cant remember the thread size but have seen some with gas tape on so would not worry,transco will sort it

Yes new meter, happens frequently.
Don't bodge it, call the emergency number and get it fixed properly. I've never known them charge anyone for a damaged test point.

get your grips on it and use a very large lump hammer to 'help' it tighten

ps. just kiddin before anyone slates me, lol

Classic over tightening. Why do they put a hexagon nut on them, for a spanner? A screw driver is plenty good enough.

This happened to me once on a u6 meter with very little force the screw just snapped. I always have a couple of spare screws in my tool box but it did take some racking of the brains to get the rest of the screw out i really didnt want to damage the thread as it was not one that screwed out but threaded into the meter itself. I drilled a 3mm hole though the screw then using the same drill bit i smeared it with super glue and after letting it dry the screw cracked out using a set of grips on the drill bit. This method worked but if it ever happens again i will phone transco.

phone gas supplier ,transco ,scottish gas networks they come and repair free.
or go to pts and buy them

Why do they put a hexagon nut on them, for a spanner?

Old meters, say pre 1960s only had a slot, similar to a countersunk screw. Where fitters used to use various screwdrivers over the years the slots used to become impossible to grip. The introduction of a hex nut greatly improved things, although of course it does lead to the possibility of damage by inexperienced installers.

It's very common to find meters with glued or filled test points where someone has sheared the nipple but not reported it.

What a Coincidence. I found one yesterday, working in a meter room of 20+ meters. Walking past got a wif of gas, and found one with the test nipple head lying on the top of the meter with traces of silicone still stuck on it. The empty test scew hole was therefore the source of the gas smell. The flat owner was not in, so I turned there gas off regarless and contacted the ESP who attended to the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Meter Test Nipple in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock