Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Mornin all, another newbi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Samo

I'm not great at thease forums but i'll give it ago.

I'm 38, Married, two huge drains on income, +morguage, (so like alot of people).

I have been thinking of a careere change and becoming a plumber for about the last 5 years,(but going self employed i found a bit daunting), however, having been made redundant at christmas after 17 years in the last job has mad me decide nows the time.

I'm currently about 2/3rds of the way through C&G 6129 and going on to NVQ Level2, and then to Level 3 hopefully with the Train 4 Trade skills, but the redundency money will only last a few months, how do you get a start in the trade ? Is it a case of go around the local plumbers and ask if they want a mate/apprentice, (are all you experienced plumbers approachable like that). I do want to do what is right (ie i want to make it work, and up and above board), but i do want to start working again,(the last few months studying hard) but i learn better on the job, (books never replace practical experience) .

Any advice, tips would be greatfully received, I have read some of the posts on hear (other people in simelar situations) and the talk about the C&G 6129 got me a bit worried as to wether i'm going the right way?. But the general encouragement thats being given is great (and the reason I joined).

Anyhow I feel like I'm rambling now so I'll say thanks and cheers, Sam.

Welcome to Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice | Plumbers Forums | A forum for plumbers advice in the UK!

Hi Samo and welcome to UKPlumbersForums.co.uk!

6129 is the theory which you will need as a starting block whatever you do but you need lots of practical experience as well, and the Level 2, before you can be a "proper" plumber.

Cheers WHPES, Being a "proper" plumber is what I want to get to, but i'm just fed up not getting any practical experience at the mo, and could do with earning a bit of money(the misses wage aint gonna pay the bills) . Ta anyway,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mornin all, another newbi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock