Discuss New boiler with filter in a dirty system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frankenstein

Lets say I have a new boiler installed into a system which hasn't been very well flushed (or worse - not flushed), but I install a good filter.

If I clean the filter often, will the filter be able to protect the boiler?

I know that flushing is important and I've described an unlikely scenario, but has anyone come across this situation?

at a minimum the installer should put a good cleaner in the system and do a hot flush, then run the new boiler with a magna cleanse for a few hours

Only if the filter manufacturer can guarantee a 100% pick up on first pass of water.
They nearly do claim that, but nearly won't mean dirt won't get into boiler, albeit hopefully very little.
Flushing a system won't get all dirt anyhow.

Lets say I have a new boiler installed into a system which hasn't been very well flushed (or worse - not flushed), but I install a good filter

Are you going to install a filter after the boiler has been fitted?

On the Flipside If the installer is offering a flush why wouldn't you do it??? Are you looking to do it yourself?? I say why risk the warranty get it done properly

On the Flipside If the installer is offering a flush why wouldn't you do it??? Are you looking to do it yourself?? I say why risk the warranty get it done properly

I'm not touching my system but I want to understand it.

I think that I need to clarify something:

I'm NOT going to install a boiler into a system which hasn't been flushed.

My scenario is hypothetical. How well would a filter protect a new boiler in a dirty, unflushed system?

Depends how dirty the system is. It's just a strange question

Depends how dirty the system is. It's just a strange question

So a filter WILL fail if the system is dirty - I assume that this is the case even if the filter is cleaned frequently.

I know its a strange question - but I want to know how good a filter is at doing its job in the worst possible situation.

Do you have all these queries with the oil filter on your car or do you accept that they work?

Nothing is perfect. Particularly on an existing system. You never know how bad the internals are completely. I'm sure 99% of the guys on here would recommend one rather than not. It will not 100% protect the boiler but it's better to have one than not

Do you have all these queries with the oil filter on your car or do you accept that they work?

On both my motorbikes and cars I change the oil filter and oil at the same time. Sometimes you can just change the oil and alternate with the filter changes (I don't do this). However I would NEVER put a new filter in any vehicle with the old oil. No I don't have the same queries regarding the oil filter on my car. I'm allowed to work on my car but I'm not allowed to work on my boiler. I need the expertise of qualified installers. I'm simply trying to ascertain how effective a boiler filter is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New boiler with filter in a dirty system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock