Search the forum,

Discuss New Plumbing Business Knowledge in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Russel124

I've recently been putting some serious thought into creating my own plumbing business, something which I've wanted to do for a while. I'm doing some research into start-ups as I'm pretty clueless about the process.

I've tried searching around the net and managed to find a guide that thomsonlocal provides (I couldn't post the URL but 'thomson guide to starting a plumbing business' brings it up if you Google search). I found this moderately helpful and am looking for more things like it.

I'd really appreciate any knowledge or personal stories you could share about starting up a plumbing business and if you have know anything similar to the thomson guide i'd love to see it.

Cheers,

Russel

Hi Russel, I take it you are a plumber with some experience ? If you are you will know now is not a good time to start anything, unless you have been offered some sort of long term work, if you are only going to be doing basic plumbing then you will struggle big time, it will also depend on were you are and how meny other plumbers are in your area, Have a look in your Thompson Local and see how meny are in that then look in Yellow Pages, you only have to read through this site to see how meny are finding it hard and some giving it up altogether , if you are in full time employment , hang on to your job, at least you get paid each week.

Thanks for the reply! I am aware of how difficult it is, which is the main reason I wanted to gather as much information as possible and just see if it's feasible. I certainly won't be throwing my job away to start something I know will fail, so don't worry there :)

I'll have a look and see just how many there are in my area, I presume quite a few.

If he was a plumber he would already know the trade and be able to answer his own question, as it is, my advice would be too stick at being employed, you wont hack it in the real world.

If he was a plumber he would already know the trade and be able to answer his own question, as it is, my advice would be too stick at being employed, you wont hack it in the real world.

Don't think being rude or personal is necessary, but thanks for the constructive response anyway.

If you think that's rude and personal then definitely stay employed. It's a big bad world out there.
Perhaps Russel124 might have expected not to meet the big bad world in here, for just asking a simple question !!

I think it would be wise to refrain from posting unless you have something constructive to say, rather than assuming you have an insight into someones personal circumstances.

Last edited:
Perhaps Russel124 might have expected not to meet the big bad world in here, for just asking a simple question !!

I think it would be wise to re-frame from posting unless you have something constructive to say, rather than assuming you have a insight into someones personal circumstances.

I would refrain, but it was constructive. He comes across a little too naĂŻve and delicate to be going on his own. I would imagine an experienced plumber with a little bit more know how. jtsplumbing hit the nail on the head.

I'd rather tell somebody how it is rather than what they want to hear.

I think it would be wise to re-frame from posting unless you have something constructive to say, rather than assuming you have a insight into someones personal circumstances.
I see your point Chris, their are more & more people coming on here asking advise on changing their job and only getting sarcastic reply's , some treat it as a joke, please if you are going to reply to them then try to be a little more understanding, and don't take the P--- Think how you would feel in their position.

Its not an ideal time to be starting up on your own, you will certainly need to be proactive in marketing and networking etc. You will find a lot of people will just sit indoors and moan about not having any work, if you are one of these, then don't become self employed. I am a firm believer that if you want it enough then you stand a good chance of making it work.

what advice specifically are you looking for or need help with?

Most towns have short business courses on being self employed (via Business Link). They're usually part time courses lasting an afternoon or so for about 10 weeks and are often free of charge (or for a nominal sum).

They won't teach you a thing about plumbing but about marketing, accounting, more marketing, sales technique, more marketing, cashflow, etc. (Oh - and more marketing!) Unless you market yourself/your business you won't have customers and this is why these courses concentrate on this aspect. Advertising is one tiny part of this marketing lark.

I find it stunning to come onto a website and ask a general question of how do I go about becoming a self employed tradesman and expecting an answer of any use. If anyone is seriously wanting to change their ability to earn a living surely they would undertake some serious research and look for help from people who can offer proper considered advice, ie bank manager, other local plumbers or tradesmen, your own boss etc.

common sense would tell me to look at how much it costs me to live now based on outgoings, list the lot work out an expenditure sheet and see what can be cut to pruduce a minimum income level to survive. then produce another spreadsheet of potential income based on some preliminary costings and work out what could be a potential income based on basic ideas of earnings, adding in costs to run the business, then see if there is the potential to make a profit a survive.

In other words build a business plan based on worst cost scenarios and worst income scenarios and see if you could survive on minimal income and any savings you have. If you cant survive, keep on as an employee.

then if you want a bit of advice on line, inform the forum of your current experience and worklife, tell them of your ideas to move to se, tell them how you intend to boost your earning potential and ask for ideas on how to improve on what you have proposed, then you might get some sensible answers and assistance and support,

Theres too many out there who pop up and say I want to be this, how do I do it? and expect a sensible response, sorry but if thats what you appear to be, dont expect anything but a harsh response, I wouldnt want to give anyone the idea its easy out there! Being nice could only cause misery to somones family as they havent thought things through and planned and prepared themselves properly for a major change in their lives.

About 3 years back I helped a guy get his NVQ evidence sorted, he wasn't too bad. Bumped into him today when he served me in a petrol station.

I find it stunning to come onto a website and ask a general question of how do I go about becoming a self employed tradesman and expecting an answer of any use. If anyone is seriously wanting to change their ability to earn a living surely they would undertake some serious research and look for help from people who can offer proper considered advice, ie bank manager, other local plumbers or tradesmen, your own boss etc.

common sense would tell me to look at how much it costs me to live now based on outgoings, list the lot work out an expenditure sheet and see what can be cut to pruduce a minimum income level to survive. then produce another spreadsheet of potential income based on some preliminary costings and work out what could be a potential income based on basic ideas of earnings, adding in costs to run the business, then see if there is the potential to make a profit a survive.

In other words build a business plan based on worst cost scenarios and worst income scenarios and see if you could survive on minimal income and any savings you have. If you cant survive, keep on as an employee.

then if you want a bit of advice on line, inform the forum of your current experience and worklife, tell them of your ideas to move to se, tell them how you intend to boost your earning potential and ask for ideas on how to improve on what you have proposed, then you might get some sensible answers and assistance and support,

Theres too many out there who pop up and say I want to be this, how do I do it? and expect a sensible response, sorry but if thats what you appear to be, dont expect anything but a harsh response, I wouldnt want to give anyone the idea its easy out there! Being nice could only cause misery to somones family as they havent thought things through and planned and prepared themselves properly for a major change in their lives.

Ive been lurking and reading a lot of threads on this site and I always thought that Lame was arrogant but their is no need to take any business course after reading what he just said. Well said Lame and I have nothing but respect for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
said it before on here tiling tiling tiling !!!!
Thats true.
No regulation very little comparative set up costs no call backs etc etc.
I have a mate who is a tiler and boasts/moans about spending ÂŁ1200 on a fancy tile saw.
I just say look in the back of my van mate. There is over 10k of tools in there and another 2 or 3 of materials plus 20 - 30 k of gear lying at the house and you charge the same day rate as me. Get real.

I had been working with a plumber since i left school 8 years ago, in December i decided i wanted to leave and do my own thing, so in Jan i told my gaffer that i had decided to leave at the end of March, he offered me more money, 50/50 in the business or to set another business up under him but for me.... (hmmm dont know how that works) anyway, i took the plunge and set up on my own, got my own van, logo designed, did a facebook page, and dropped a few cards into the local shops. I had a couple of bathrooms lined up and some other little bits and bats but nothing much really, now a few months in work just keeps coming in all the time, word has spread that i have left the other company (one man band) and have gone on my own, it's a small 'clicky' village so gossip soon spreads. Builders that were using my old boss before now use me, and so far i'm booked up untill mid october. At the same time i was setting up my business me and my mrs decided move in together so it was a very expensive few months indeed! I have just started to finally take a wage out now steady away. Some times you have to just take a chance and bite the bullet, times are hard at the moment but luckilly for me i am known in my area (not blowing my own trumpet) and also you need a decent amount of money behind you to do it right!

Congratulations. It took courage and you have achieved what many might not have been able to. I wish I had ÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁ of gear and tools. I have what I need on a day to day basis and borrow, rent or buy when I have to. Always keep your eye out for liquidated stock in your local auction house and save a ton, no guarantee though. Have not been stung... yet!

I had nothing when I started, other than my hand tools.

@ Gravy88

Last edited:
Thankyou, Nerve wracking to start with but so glad i've done it now!
I keep looking on ebay for bits and bats, like job lot auctions, will have a look out and see if i can find a auction house for some more bits and bats but i have got most of the bits i need, allthough you can never have enough!

If anyone is thinking of going on there own, only they will know if they can get enough work to make a do, i knew i had plenty of good trustworthy contacts, and once word spread they started using me, if your not very well known in your area then your just a fish in the ocean. You need a fair bit of brass behind you aswell to get started, you dont realise how much stuff bluddy costs! And experience/knowledge!

e bay isnt always cheaper remember and you dont know what your getting, tread with care

I was on my own for 7-8 years. Just done a couple of years doing another job but gone back by myself again in June. Costs to set up again, on the cheap baring in mind I already have a couple of shed loads (literally) of tools and parts. Oh and Im not gas so don't have to fork out for that. ÂŁ5000 for van. ÂŁ250 signwriting. ÂŁ250 for my unvented. ÂŁ200 for trousers/shirts/jumpers. ÂŁ200 on business networking membership. ÂŁ400 and rising on printing. ÂŁ350 for this months advertising. ÂŁ250 on van racking. ÂŁ800 on websites although Ive had a lot done and that covers me until next year. ÂŁ100+Tools/bag/van bits. ÂŁÂŁÂŁ for my Institute membership. ÂŁÂŁ for card machine. There is more Ive spent but that will do for now! Incomings for this week are expected to be approx ÂŁ40 plus another ÂŁ100 from a manufacturer I work for that I'll get in a months time. I hope this helps

tried it, could only break even mostly apart from the odd good week, was always being undercut, got sick of being skint all the time so went into subbying.

I only ordered copies of my qualifications last week from c&g but as soon as I get them I can apply for a cscs card and go for work on sites. I was useless at getting bathroom work when I was last on my own, really struggled but I see getting that sort of work as my only chance of surviving now

Hi Russel.

I recently set up on my own after 11 years employed as a plumber and then heating engineer. I've been self employed for 2 weeks!

The 1st thing I would say is to get some funds together to keep you going. It's Thursday afternoon and I've been at home all day, which is nice, but I would rather be working. You won't be stacked out with work from day one, or month one!

Do some work on the side if you can. Try and build up a bit of a customer base before you take the plunge.

Get an accountant. You will probably need somebody to help you with all the legal stuff and getting your accounts in order. It's good to have someone you can call on when you're unsure of how to go about anything of this nature.

Make extensive lists of stuff you will need. There is nothing worse than getting half way through your first job and realising you have to make an hour round trip to pick up a tube of silicone, then getting back to the job and noticing you have missed something else. It costs you time and makes you look bad. I know!

Advertise as much as you can afford to. The free stuff is good, Facebook has been working well for me, got about 5 jobs through friends of friends in my first week who 'liked' my business page. But get some cards printed, and maybe some flyers to drop through doors, these have worked quite well for me. Get your van sign written. Have a logo and branding designed for you and use this uniformly on your van, business cards, flyers etc. It looks professional.

You will hear people say "there's plenty of work out there", and there is. You just have to be good at getting it. Be reliable, be really good at what you do and be really nice to your customers, lots of plumbers aren't and people will love it when you are.

Hope at least some of this helpful to you. Good luck.

Oh and buy some shoe covers! They love it when you put on shoe covers before you step on their cream carpet ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Plumbing Business Knowledge in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock