Discuss New Plumbing Business Knowledge in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Russel124

I've recently been putting some serious thought into creating my own plumbing business, something which I've wanted to do for a while. I'm doing some research into start-ups as I'm pretty clueless about the process.

I've tried searching around the net and managed to find a guide that thomsonlocal provides (I couldn't post the URL but 'thomson guide to starting a plumbing business' brings it up if you Google search). I found this moderately helpful and am looking for more things like it.

I'd really appreciate any knowledge or personal stories you could share about starting up a plumbing business and if you have know anything similar to the thomson guide i'd love to see it.

Cheers,

Russel

Hi Russel, I take it you are a plumber with some experience ? If you are you will know now is not a good time to start anything, unless you have been offered some sort of long term work, if you are only going to be doing basic plumbing then you will struggle big time, it will also depend on were you are and how meny other plumbers are in your area, Have a look in your Thompson Local and see how meny are in that then look in Yellow Pages, you only have to read through this site to see how meny are finding it hard and some giving it up altogether , if you are in full time employment , hang on to your job, at least you get paid each week.

Thanks for the reply! I am aware of how difficult it is, which is the main reason I wanted to gather as much information as possible and just see if it's feasible. I certainly won't be throwing my job away to start something I know will fail, so don't worry there :)

I'll have a look and see just how many there are in my area, I presume quite a few.

If he was a plumber he would already know the trade and be able to answer his own question, as it is, my advice would be too stick at being employed, you wont hack it in the real world.

If he was a plumber he would already know the trade and be able to answer his own question, as it is, my advice would be too stick at being employed, you wont hack it in the real world.

Don't think being rude or personal is necessary, but thanks for the constructive response anyway.

If you think that's rude and personal then definitely stay employed. It's a big bad world out there.
Perhaps Russel124 might have expected not to meet the big bad world in here, for just asking a simple question !!

I think it would be wise to refrain from posting unless you have something constructive to say, rather than assuming you have an insight into someones personal circumstances.

Last edited:
Perhaps Russel124 might have expected not to meet the big bad world in here, for just asking a simple question !!

I think it would be wise to re-frame from posting unless you have something constructive to say, rather than assuming you have a insight into someones personal circumstances.

I would refrain, but it was constructive. He comes across a little too naïve and delicate to be going on his own. I would imagine an experienced plumber with a little bit more know how. jtsplumbing hit the nail on the head.

I'd rather tell somebody how it is rather than what they want to hear.

I think it would be wise to re-frame from posting unless you have something constructive to say, rather than assuming you have a insight into someones personal circumstances.
I see your point Chris, their are more & more people coming on here asking advise on changing their job and only getting sarcastic reply's , some treat it as a joke, please if you are going to reply to them then try to be a little more understanding, and don't take the P--- Think how you would feel in their position.

Its not an ideal time to be starting up on your own, you will certainly need to be proactive in marketing and networking etc. You will find a lot of people will just sit indoors and moan about not having any work, if you are one of these, then don't become self employed. I am a firm believer that if you want it enough then you stand a good chance of making it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Plumbing Business Knowledge in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back