Discuss New van in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoggy

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi everyone
just looking for some advice on a new van, few questions,at the minute I have a 54 plate 4th hand bit of a nail but it's seen me well for a few years, it's looking like it's time to go for something better but I'm stuck on what choice do I go for, but one for about £5k outright second hand and risk all these horror stories of second hand mad price vans being money takers with repairs or get finance and get something new ish but can't justify spending all that money on a van unless its potential to bring more work in with it looking a bit more respectful than my current motor.

Also what vans are good, was thinking Vauxhall Vivarro, at the minute I have a long wheel based van but it's to big, only got it as it was a good deal at the time but will down size if I change it.

thanks thoggy

What you got at the moment?

I like t5's but for 5k it might be a high mileage one...

Vivaro or trafic should be alright for that money...

good thread as I'm thinking about a new van also with a similar budget. I'm thinking a transit mwb so I can carry sheets of plasterboard and t&g flooring for when I do bathrooms etc. I've got a vivaro at the minute and has served me well for a couple of years

ive got a traffic same as vivaro and the fella i work with had a vivaro brilliant van, they've got there issues but there only maintenance parts really, but buying second hand your always taking a gamble, just do your research have multiple viewings on vans then go back for a second look and the top 2 and make sure you take at least one other person with you as they might spot something you dont

good thread as I'm thinking about a new van also with a similar budget. I'm thinking a transit mwb so I can carry sheets of plasterboard and t&g flooring for when I do bathrooms etc. I've got a vivaro at the minute and has served me well for a couple of years

you can get plaster board in the back of a vivaro

I've got a lwb Vauxhall movano at the minute, it was to good a deal not to buy and you can literally load everything in the back for jobs and some extra, can fit my 2 bit ladders in on an angle, but that type of van to buy new or semi decent condition would cost to much, thanks for replies so far much appreciated

Have you given any thought to buying a brand new van.
Last three 2 nd hand vans have cost me big time. So last week took the plunge 3 grand deposit and 247 a month and got a brand new peugeot expert. Wish i done it years ago. If i compare how much ive spent on vans last 3-4 years it works out around same price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also look to go down the new van route. Pay it off monthly and look after it and you will have a good reliable van for years. The difficult bit is choosing the right van for you.

I've got 2 plumber friends who bought 6-8 grand second hand vans and had problems which is what worries me but I've never bought anything new so it's all new to me. How does it work regarding the costs of the van being deducted from your tax bill, most of the plumbers near me have new vans and I have my old work horse, the image thing is making me wonder with me turning up in mine and the others in the nice shiny ones.
If buying new is it best to get a loan or do it from the van sales place?

Do you have an accountant? if so ask them which would be the most tax efficient way of purchasing or leasing a van.

Get a Hiace, tough as old boots, and slower. Ten year cam belt intervals, they're just bullet proof.

54 plate that's practically new as far as I'm concerned I've just upgraded from an S to a W reg well chuffed:wink5:

I am still running around in a Caddy van, which is only 4 years old but has 127k on it now.

Good little van, but I was thinking one of the new shape bi-turbo Vivaros

I am still running around in a Caddy van, which is only 4 years old but has 127k on it now.

Good little van, but I was thinking one of the new shape bi-turbo Vivaros

The caddy is just worn in... Would probs outlive the new bi-turbo vivaro too lol...

Aren't all these new vans just small engined & bolted on with turbos to give good performance... Surely that kind of engine won't last as long as it's being thrashed always?

Vivaro`s seem to be good or bad, know of a company running four 2014/15 Vivaro`s, one has been trouble free and two of the other three have had total loss of power and hence brakes (once on a motorway!), all three have had niggling faults with electrics and have spent days back at the dealer, aren`t they little 1.6 engines running with two turbos? - No thanks!

my mechanic told me that the new shape vivaros/traffics are pants and have terrible engines, but the last of the old shape are the ones to go for as there still solid well as solid as a vivaro can be

From what i have read from various articles here there. There seems to be an opinion that all the new breed of diesel engines seem to be tuned/designed to be so efficient that it does put a lot of stress on the enigines and as such are not as reliable as they used to be. And many start to develope issues around 100000 even less if they are not looked afters.
Bit like boilers really in the stirve to gain efficiency for the sacrice of reliability

From what i have read from various articles here there. There seems to be an opinion that all the new breed of diesel engines seem to be tuned/designed to be so efficient that it does put a lot of stress on the enigines and as such are not as reliable as they used to be. And many start to develope issues around 100000 even less if they are not looked afters.
Bit like boilers really in the stirve to gain efficiency for the sacrice of reliability

They said that with mine,its a 2.2 puma lump,quite fast,good on juice and refined but needs maintaining on the nail with only the best of oils,magnatec or similar

As with all boilers/vans you can have a good one or a bad one. Even with crappy stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New van in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock