Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss newbie needs new trick in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

1smokinace

first of all im mark a newbie, i need some advice from you plumbers or heating engineers as you like to be known as. can anyone tell me any quick ways to empty a hot water cylinder? i cannot access the pipework as it is tucked in the rear of a cupboard and there is no drain off cock!! the cylinder is a two immersion type (e7). i need to change the bottom imersion but drainin tank could take a while. any help would be nice. obviously i need to turn off the cold water feed, i thought maybe after that removin the hot outlet and syphon the water out via hosepipe but that will take ages. help me out guys.

take the highest outlet of the cylinder off (hot water outlet) and put in syphon, if you can get it in use 15mm pipe within the cylinder and make a made bend at the top wher it comes out ,then attach a hose and Suck! should only take 20mins to drain

Yea syphoning is an excellent method I tend to use it over drain off valves when we are doing work on old systems, on the last job I was on some of the Drain off valves either didnt work or were totaly inadequate and taking forever to drain off the tank.

So like leakylea says use long piece of copper with a bend so it can reach the base of the tank as much as possible and drains the bulk of the tanks capacity. When you suck to create a syphon effect make sure you are either outside near a drain or near the toilet so the tank water has somewhere to drain.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you put the pipe into the cylinder keep it a couple of inches of the bottom. There is usually a load of scale and crud in the bottom which will slow it down, thats the reason the drain cocks are so slow.

thanks for the advice boys, drained down the system ok but could not shift the immersion heater, (stuck fast for 20 years)! any help would be great as im trying not to have to change the tank as the old dear im doin the job for doesnt have a lot of cash, thanks again boys.

don't try removing a immersion from a empty cylinder you'll twist it.

if it won't budge by using immersion spanner.
you can heat them.

i useally go for just drilling them out takes 15 mins and can all be done in under the hour.

Refill the cylinder, put a decent immersion spanner on the heater and give it a gentle tap with a hammer. This normally breaks the seal and you can then drain down again and get it out. An old boy taught me this trick years ago and it seldom fails.

Mike

Firstly i would spray some Penetrating oil(Example WD-40) around the nut and leave that for as long as possible, i wouldnt bother doing anything more unntill the oil is working through. Then with an immesion heater spanner you can see if it eases off, if its still too hard to shift tap(not thump) the spanner/tommy bar(for the box spanner type) with a small hammer. Be careful though and use caution if you welly it you risk bending and buckling the cylinder. You could also try a larger stilson to offer your that bit of extra grip but again try and use caution as the twisting immersion heat may bend and buckle the tank.

Im sure some of the older pros have more ideas.

EDIT: Yes id go with Sonray and Mikes adivce, much quicker and possibly more effective than waiting for the oil to do its job(thats saying it even does)

If it won't budge by using immersion spanner.
You can heat them.

I useally go for just drilling them out takes 15 mins and can all be done in under the hour.
how would you drill it out?

yeh?
id like to know too,
i usually go for the clunk n thump which has allways worked for me, but just incase - how and where do you drill the male thread out?.
cheers.

got the box spanner type, c,mon guys help an old lady with "ME" save a few quid. need to get this imersion heater out soon, oh its the bottom heater in an e7 tank, direct vented type.

if it won't budge by using immersion spanner.
you can heat them.

i useally go for just drilling them out takes 15 mins and can all be done in under the hour.
It won't twist or split if you hit the spanner hard enough.Give it a good whack with your lump hammer and you'll sort it.

Well you learn something every day, I have been changing these for 25 years and never thought about drilling.
Also I spanner the cylinder when its empty in case it splits. Why is it better to spanner it when full?

In all the years I've been clouting immersions with a hammer I've never burst a cylinder. Before I was taught the trick I twisted quite a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to newbie needs new trick in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock