Discuss No Hot Water - Gravity Fed System in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I find that the cylinder flow/return pipes are blocked with magnetite, whats the best way of breaking it down and clearing it ?

Thank you.

Pull stats and boil it.

I'm certainly not brave enough to try this, particularly as it seems you mean bypassing all stats (boiler included). However, I'm curious to know that, as there's no flow/return from the boiler to the cylinder (and hence no water), how boiling would cure the issue ?

Thank you.

Ok, so I went back last Monday and, before checking pipework with a magnet, turned the hot water and heating on. As previously stated, the hot water cylinder is in the loft and the flow/return pipe run from the Rayburn in the kitchen to the cylinder in the loft (via pump & diverter valves under first floor hall) is about 30-35 feet. After turning the hot water/heating on, I went straight up to the loft to check the cylinder (took a couple of minutes at most) and the flow pipe to the cylinder was already getting warm and after another minute was hot. However, after a few further minutes, the return pipe hadn't warmed up at all.

I then part drained the system, disconnected the flow/return from the cylinder and ran some water through the cylinder (not mains pressure but using a bottle of water) and, apart from a bit of discoloured water coming out the other end, found the cylinder coil to be clear.

I've checked 50% of the flow/return pipework to the cylinder with a magnet (the other 50% is in a difficult to access loft/ceiling void) and it's clear.

Surely, if there was a blockage, there's no way the flow pipe at the cylnder would have warmed up so quickly (if at all) as there's no where for the water to go !

Ok, so I went back last Monday and, before checking pipework with a magnet, turned the hot water and heating on. As previously stated, the hot water cylinder is in the loft and the flow/return pipe run from the Rayburn in the kitchen to the cylinder in the loft (via pump & diverter valves under first floor hall) is about 30-35 feet. After turning the hot water/heating on, I went straight up to the loft to check the cylinder (took a couple of minutes at most) and the flow pipe to the cylinder was already getting warm and after another minute was hot. However, after a few further minutes, the return pipe hadn't warmed up at all.

I then part drained the system, disconnected the flow/return from the cylinder and ran some water through the cylinder (not mains pressure but using a bottle of water) and, apart from a bit of discoloured water coming out the other end, found the cylinder coil to be clear.

I've checked 50% of the flow/return pipework to the cylinder with a magnet (the other 50% is in a difficult to access loft/ceiling void) and it's clear.

Surely, if there was a blockage, there's no way the flow pipe at the cylnder would have warmed up so quickly (if at all) as there's no where for the water to go !

Yes, the flow pipe can heat up fairly quickly as it is only the water in the pipe heating up. It may only be passing through it very little due to a blockage or air lock. I see this very often on a cylinder with return pipe nearly blocked totally. Something strong, but flexible pushed down into pipe would be handy.

When u emptied the system did u manually open the zone valves to allow proper filling of the system , ?

Thanks again for the responses.

Yes, the flow pipe can heat up fairly quickly as it is only the water in the pipe heating up. It may only be passing through it very little due to a blockage or air lock. I see this very often on a cylinder with return pipe nearly blocked totally. Something strong, but flexible pushed down into pipe would be handy.

Ok thank you, certainly worth a try with a sturdy piece of flexible hose pipe.

Thank you, but I've loosened both the flow and return connections at the cylinder and there's water at both. There's also an auto air vent on the cylinder flow pipe so surely any airlock would have vented out through that by now !

When u emptied the system did u manually open the zone valves to allow proper filling of the system , ?

Thank you, yes, I manually opened both zone valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to No Hot Water - Gravity Fed System in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock